Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have done a quick search but couldn't find a similar thread so here goes ... what is your favourite gear in your GTA?!?

During a drive the other day it just came into my head. On exiting a bend and putting the power down in 3rd the car just bolts forward at what feels like warp speed. I was past the couple of cars in front and into the next bend. :wow:

When I think about it I use 3rd loads; probably most common gear through town and definitely use it for the power up a slip road and onto the dual carriageway/mway. I think it's its range that appeals to me - you can almost pull off in it and it will still get to speeds that would give reason for your licence to disappear.

1st gear can seem irrelevant in the GTA sometimes, 2nd gear gives an incredible push and noise, with 4th, 5th and 6th battling it out for the "improved" :lol: fuel economy but still provide a great push in the back sensation. When driving in France last year I spent the whole Autoroute in 6th just eating the miles and pulling like a train. But 3rd is still my favourite ... for the time being :lol:

And my favoutite gear change has to be from 2-3-4 (have got the throw from 2nd to 3rd down to a fine art) :)

Probably a load of rambling ... but what's your view?

:thumbs:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I know it obviously differs depending on the roads, but on my commute it's sixth all the dual carriage and motor ways, otherwise it's three all the way for me as well.

Heard that in the new Aston V12's the torque is so big, you can pull away from a standstill in top and stay in that gear all the way (can't imagine it's any good for the drive-train though) !

Tried it once in the GTA and stalled :)

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
2nd. Gets me from traffic lights to *ahem* motorway speed in the hopelessly short sliproad provided at the A1M juction I have to use.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
2nd. Normally when you get to the end of a 30 zone, you're in 3rd, you put your foot down and accelerate away pretty rapidly.
But occasionally, I come to the end of the 30 zone in 2nd instead, and when you put your foot down then, it's breathtakingly quick.

·
Banned
467 Posts
I find 2nd too short unless you're 'instant burst' mode.

2nd on y old 155 v6 seemed VERY long by comparison which made the 155 really tractable round town and on corners an slip roads.

3rd on the GTA however.......... all those Churchy type weirdos reckon that their 'god' rested on the 7th day? B*****ks. He got a team of Alfa engineers and created 3rd gear on a GTA. In fact, he/she/it probably had it made on the first day to wake every other evolved creature on the planet wake up.

BLISS. EVERY time

Anyone remember OPM's song "Heaven is a Half Pipe" ? Scruffy little skater boys obviously haven't driven an Alfa.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I like my 2nd as well

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
2nd gear in my Qsystem tops out at almost 120kms just before the rev limiter..............hows that for really long gearing :lol:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I love the 50-90 acceleration in 3rd myself - its deadly quick for overtaking moves and slip roads alike :D

2nd is over far too quickly to enjoy :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
3rd gear is great for the reasons already mentioned, but for me my favourite gear has to be 6th. I spend most of my commute on the motorway, and 90% of that is in 6th gear. There's just so much torque. Being able to go from 40mph to 155mph in one gear is incredible. :thumbs:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
3rd everytime! I :inlove: going up behind a que of traffic toddling along, 6th to 3rd brrrrrrrraaammmmmmpppph!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Done and thought about this many times in almost 6 years of GTA ownership - love 3rd gear.

Get going in 1st, then into 3rd and when feel like just going along round town at a steady pace - assuming you don't need to stop, you can leave it in 3rd and never change.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Interesting thread.

For overtaking a 45mpher, sitting in the relatively quiet and sedate 4th and then letting rip is class. 3rd doesnt last quite long enough and is a bit noisy whilst you are waiting for a gap.

So, 4th for me, but i dont live in a city.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
2nd, it's far more feroscious than 3rd and far more thrilling even if for a shorter period of time.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some pretty consistent views here ... seems to me that we could just get rid of 1st and 5th! :lol: Actually thinking about it I don't use 5th a lot of the time, straight from 4th to 6th.

And then as Jim said dropped to 3rd and boot it! :wow:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts