Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Although the goal is to hear that rotary from the Mazda 797b in the flesh one day...
Not wishing to crow, because that's not such a nice noise, I heard the Mazda at Brands Hatch back in the day. I was beside the braking area at Hawthorn, i.e. at the end of the main straight. When it first came past with its unique shriek, complete strangers turned to smile at each other.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Not wishing to crow, because that's not such a nice noise, I heard the Mazda at Brands Hatch back in the day. I was beside the braking area at Hawthorn, i.e. at the end of the main straight. When it first came past with its unique shriek, complete strangers turned to smile at each other.
Lucky bas.... Fair play, the ultimate goal is to get to the Spa classic, some of the Group C and Sportscar machines that grace that event are immense, 787b, Peugeot 905, Alfa 33/3 etc.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I'd like to a hear a Deltic at full chat. Heard them at half power as I live near the Severn Valley Railway, but not heard on full song, although my dad has back in the day and says they could be heard for miles around.
Hmmm....to me that's just noise!

·
Registered
37,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yamaha did a similar thing with the 1.7 engine in the Puma, sending the blocks to Japan for a “machining process” and getting exports logged for the parts. They also engineered the 1.2 engine and the US rejected it on cost grounds, so the European Fiesta gained an expensive engine due to the small print in the contract.

That 1.7 Yamaha tweaked engine was a great little engine, and in the Puma it would have been terrific had Ford actually bothered to put any rust protection on the things.

I loved driving my one, but I think it could have done with a few more BHP.

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
Yamaha did a similar thing with the 1.7 engine in the Puma, sending the blocks to Japan for a “machining process” and getting exports logged for the parts. They also engineered the 1.2 engine and the US rejected it on cost grounds, so the European Fiesta gained an expensive engine due to the small print in the contract.
The little Fiesta engine is a bit of a gem. Definitely the plucky underdog of the thread.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
The Isuzu 2.8 turbo diesel fitted in my Defender makes a brilliant noise when changing gear. It is probably knackered, but it makes a fantastic "whoosh" noise / turbo whine, when changing gear. High thrills, at very low speeds :)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts