Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

maybe you find this interesting. These are the results of an online poll in Italy (quattrruote.it). The question was 'what is your favorite car?'

The Giulietta :)thumbs:) is first in the medium-small category and the MiTo second in the small category.

cheers

Citycar: 1. Fiat Panda (26,8%); 2. Fiat 500 (22,5%); 3. Volkswagen up! (10,3%).
Piccole: 1. Fiat 500L (12,1%); 2. Alfa Romeo MiTo (11,5%); 3. Audi A1 (10,7%).
Medio-piccole: 1. Alfa Romeo Giulietta (23,4%); 2. Mercedes-Benz Classe A (15,5%); 3. Volkswagen Golf (9,5%).
Medie: 1. BMW Serie 3 (25,1%); 2. Audi A5 (11,1%); 3. Citroën DS5 (7,1%).
Medio-grandi: 1. BMW Serie 5 (25,0%); 2. Jaguar XF (14,0%); 3. Lancia Thema (11,7%).
Ammiraglie: 1. Maserati Quattroporte (23,8%); 2. Porsche Panamera (12,3%); 3. Aston Martin Rapide (11,7%).
Sportive: 1. Ferrari F12berlinetta (31,0%); 2. Ferrari 458 Italia (13,8%); 3. Ferrari FF (10,3%).
Cabrio: 1. Ferrari 458 Spider (18,7%); 2. Ferrari California (16,8%); 3. Maserati GranCabrio (8,0%).
Fuoristrada: 1. Range Rover Evoque (20,4%); 2. Range Rover (7,6%); 3. Jeep Grand Cherokee (7,3%).
Monovolume: 1. Fiat Freemont (15,1%); 2. Opel Zafira Tourer (8,3%); 3. Ford B-Max (8,2%).

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Strange that although they "prefer" the Giulietta to the VW Golf by a huge margin this is not reflected in the sales where the Golf is the top seller. Giulietta has made ground and two months in 2012 was marginally in front on monthly sales - but annual sales seriously favour the Golf.
Not sure what this says about the survey, or of the people who are buying cars in Italy. Certainly Panda is number 1 from the sales statistics I've seen.

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
I think people who buy Quattroruote and would participate in such a poll are car enthusiasts and would definitely pick the Giulietta over the Golf. Shame there are not enough of these people around.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Strange that although they "prefer" the Giulietta to the VW Golf by a huge margin this is not reflected in the sales where the Golf is the top seller.
Easy. You can prefer one car over another, but when it's your €20,000 being put down, you need to make a rational decision too.

Golf was discounted a lot before the Mk7 arrived at the end of 2012. Giulietta began to outsell Golf once the Mk7 hit the market (which, as a new car would not have been discounted, although like other VW models, its RRP has a hidden subsidy in it), and Alfa increased discounts on Giulietta.

The last FIAT investor presentation said as much: people now base their purchasing on price more than any other factor; brand loyalty is a rich man's privilege.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The last FIAT investor presentation said as much: people now base their purchasing on price more than any other factor; brand loyalty is a rich man's privilege.

Who would by Audis then, when VWs are cheaper and not much less quality? Who would buy VWs when Skodas are cheaper?
FIAT is wrong as usual :). And looking for excuses as usual. Fiat 500 is I'd say much overpriced for the offering it gives (I like the car very much anyway) and is one of FIAT's bestsellers.

I'm not rich. And I'm loyal to the brand although the service I receive is much below the standard of the product itself.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
No, they're not wrong. The other important observation was that the market has diverged, with only the cheapest manufacturers (Skoda, Kia, Hyundai) and premium makes like BMW, Audi, Jaguar and Mercedes growing while the mainstream has died away.

Alfa pitched the Giulietta against the Golf and Focus, rather than the bottom of the A3 and BMW1. Unfortunately, this middle class is what has been most brutally hit in the recession. With the exception of VW, all the middle-strand manufacturers have been hit hard, and it's arguable that the VW brand is only holding up only because VW A.G. is engaging in all sorts of ultimately self-destructive schemes to keep their prices down, and shipping numbers up.

In hindsight, Alfa should probably have spent another €2k per car and pitched the Giulietta higher in the market, but at the time, it seemed likely that as the recession played out, the high-end hatchbacks would be the worst to suffer, and buyers of A3/BMW/etc would be moving down-scale and looking for something special at a lower price. Paradoxically, this has not happened.

In light of this, the decision has already been made to push Alfa up in (perceived) quality and price towards the top of the scale, because "value for money" isn't a selling point right now, only "low price". Giulietta is fantastic value for money, but those who want value are going right down to the Koreans, and the car's pricing is too low to be cross-shopped by wealthier customers. I expect the facelifted Giulietta to be slightly more expensive than the previous car, and I expect the price of the Giulia to be a shock to some long-standing Alfa owners (more 3-Series than Mondeo).

Quality of Service is a geographical lottery - my local Mercedes dealership is the worst most cynical operation I've ever had the misfortune to deal with, but Mercedes are regarded as giving good customer service overall (correctly, once you exclude Ireland). My local Alfa Authorised service garage is superb, and when there was a main dealer in my home town, they were very good too.

If you're getting bad service, complain to the head of Alfa in your country. It's not like the garage is going to tell them that they're not helping you...

·
Registered
33,762 Posts
I think the events of 2008 changed things in favour of VW as people have tended to take less risk in the brands they buy. Alfa was on the way to sorting out residuals and dealers but volumes have gone down as has the courage of the buyers. I read Top Gear describing Alfa as the Fiat "taste the difference range" and whereas people will "spoil themselves" with a upgrade on their dining they are doing it by buying the cars perceived as being more lasting and quality. Whatever the truth, the Germans have this market and Alfa have not reached the critical mass for dealership support.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts