Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
My Dad had a succcession of Minis and Triumph Spitfires when I was a kid, then we had a Beetle and a split screen "beetlevan" camper. In later years he's graduated on to a couple of Renaults (most recently a Laguna, sluggish, underpowered and unrealiable, wallows like a hippo, but he likes it for some reason).

I think I liked being in the back of the red softtop Spitfire mk III best of all - it was a real thrill when I was 7 years old!

·
Registered
44,843 Posts
He had a 1984 Audi 100 for a while, that was quite good. Apart from that it consisted of;

VW Golf 1.1 mk1, Peugeot 304, Renault 12TS, VW Jetta, Volvo 440, Nissan Bluebird, a couple Passats and a Mazda 6. :(

Yawwwwn !

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
In the 1960's my dad worked as a civil engineer for a company called Connellys. They gave him a Willys Jeep which had been hand painted yellow, (the colour of the company logo), and it never started unless he hand-cranked it.
Where some of the paint was flaking you could clearly see the original Olive Drab and US military markings underneath. I expect it would be quite collectible now. Not really a favourite, but loads more interesting than the Marinas, Maxis and Austin 1300's that would follow.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
MG 1300, quite quick, a bit wallowy but it had a habit of dropping valve seats. I those days a 12G295 cylinder head was gold dust so a replacement seat was the only answer, dropped again. :-(

·
Registered
14,579 Posts
I loved his Morris Traveller at the time (I was only about 6 I think). I also remember being very sad when his Volvo Amazon was towed away to the scrapyard some time around 1980.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
FIAT Dino, although only briefly.

He'd either traded-in his old car, or sold it and borrowed this from a garage to tide him over "between cars", and my mother was not impressed with the lack of practicality (although the four of us could technically fit in it, as my brother and I were only 8 and 7). My main memory of it was the cockpit, so it was only recently that I realised it was actually a Dino...
(Given our financial circumstances at this time, I doubt very much that it was the model with the Ferrari engine in it.)

Prior to that, and more of a longer term, we had a maroon BMW 2002 that I liked.

·
Registered
37,513 Posts
My dad has had some nice cars and some not so good.

The ones I liked, these are not on chronological order mind you.

Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
Dutton Sierra
Westfield SE 1.7 X-Flow
Reliant Scimitar SE5
TVR Chimaera 500
BMW 330i sport (Manual geabox)
BMW 540i
Toyota Supra 3.0 (Pop up lights version)
Alfa GTV V6
Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo Plus
Renaultsport Clio 182
Ford Puma 1.7

The ones he has had that I didn't like.

VW Golf Mk2 GTi 8V (Overrated and kept getting stolen/Broken into)
Vauxhall Viva (A banger whilst I was at school)
Ford Sierra 1.8 (Pinto version)
MG Midget RWA
Alfa Spider TS
Mazda MX-5
Hyundai Coupe
BMW 330Ci (Auto)
His current Mercedes CLS 500 (Does nothing for me whatsoever despite being fast in a straight line)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Morris marina tc,turqoise blue with black vinyl roof,and beige vinyl seats,me dad did morcambe,from a village called kirkoswald in 40 minutes,impressive when you think it was 1973 I was seven at the time,still remember that journey like it was yesterday:cool::thumbs:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Lancia Beta 2000ES saloon in pale blue - which cleverly he sold to a mate (ex-mate) about 3 years before the rust killed it.
Then the original, pre-aero shape, Audi 80GLE with the 1.6GTi engine - pale metallic green. Fast, comfortable and pretty in its day.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts