Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a repeat as I have asked before but I need some help.
I am currently driving around with 1 xenon headlight as the drivers side stopped working for some reason. I believe that water somehow got into the circuit and has caused a short.
I hit a rather large puddle but thought nothing of it as I have NEVER had any issues with water before on my Alfa.
I got about 200 yards down the road and the light flickered and went out. I have since replaced the bulb twice (didn't get it aligned correctly first time and it died due to me 'forcing' it in) but it was still dead - new buylb and all.
I have taken it to an auto electrician to look at but he didn't want to be poking around inside it with it still on the car due to the voltages involved?? He wants it out of the car and on a test bench.

I was wondering if people think it is worth me booking the car back in with him for the day and letting him get the light out (bumper off job). Does anyone think it is fixable or do you think it is as dead as dead can be? I would prefer it to be fixed as the lights are great when they both work (1 xenon is as good as 2 standard ones!). I have looked at replacing them with more xenons from Alfa but I bawked at the cost - £1500!!!

Thanks in advance.
Andy.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
as above, the fuse for that side xenon is the most likely problem. the globes rarely blow.

alternatively, the ballast could have died. but the fuse is more common than a dead ballast. (ballast = voltage converter: +12V to +85V for xenons)

owner's manual should tell you where the fuse is (i've never had to check myself).

:)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I have checked all the fuses and they are all fine (I am thinking the fuse will be in the fusebox under steering wheel?).
I have been to the auto-electricians once and he gave it the once over and fitted the new bulb but no luck. It was he who said it is probably a short due to water getting in.

If water had got in somehow then would it cause a short in the ballast? Where is the ballast located - any ideas?

Thanks again,
Andy.

·
7,713 Posts
not sure where the fuses are. there'll be one for each side; so if you've found them under the steering wheel, no probs. there's other fuses under the bonnet atop the POS battery terminal.

ballast is located under each light assembly. silver alloy boxes, one for each side. you need to take the bumper off to access them.

on my GT:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2058/2525382081_abe763c8d6_o.jpg

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that Shiny_car. At least i know where the ballats are now. I just hope that they can be fixed if it is a short . . .

·
7,713 Posts
i don't think ballasts are a servicable item, and are best replaced. alfa will want $$$ for a new one. options include sourcing a secondhand high quality brand (eg: philips); even if it's not an alfa part, it should be compatible, but worth researching this. would not be a big job to alter any plugs/connections to make it fit. ballasts and xenon systems seem to all work from the same voltages and stuff, so they should be interchangable and compatible.

hopefully you or your autoelec/mechanic can determine which part is faulty.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really don't want to have to fork out for a new headlight. But the replacing with a 2nd hand high quality part sounds like it may work.

Why can I sense my wallet will be a lot lighter (no pun intended) at the end of this experience . . .

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Take the bumper off and swap the ballast unit from the working light onto the non-working unit, if it lights, bingo. Mine went because a mechanic left a lens cap off when changing a sidelight bulb, rain, water gets into lamp unit, drains down into ballast, kaput. Unit was full of water when removed. Important to find out where water got in before you replace the ballast, otherwise will do it again. And give connections on lamp unit a good cleaning as they will have corroded slightly. Think ballast cost €140 from Alfa, better to stick with original parts, Alfa's are tempermental enought.......

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Hugh. The puddle I hit was on a bend and I didn't see it till last minute. Not a good idea to brake on a corner that has a deep puddle . . . But it was an excessive amount of water that splashed up due to the depth of the puddle and also the speed (about 40-45mph).
I have never had an issue before or after with water so i am hoping a 1 off.

So I hope at worst i am looking at a new ballast which is something I would say i am happy with. nyhting more and the xenons will have to come out and HID's put in. Its a shame but I simply can't afford to replace the xenons :(

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
There is another set of fuses and relays hidden behind the glove compartment, in earlier models anyway. In mine there is a small removable cover in the top of the glove compartment hiding fuses (headlights are here I think), but the fuses are offset to the hole so you might be able to see if one is blown but unlikely to be able to change it with glove compartment in place ... don't you love the Italians! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I have seen this cover before but never actually taken it off. Sounds like fun. I am hoping that it is maybe one of these fuses as that will be a hell of a lot cheaper! Fingers crossed.
(My car is an 03 btw - is that classed as an early car?)

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
03 ... middle'ish ... 98 were earliest ...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Excellent - thanks oilyneil!! Don't suppose you would know which one I need? Yeah I know its a longshot . . . Not sure Alfa would know either as they are an optional extra. The only way i will know is to take the bumper off and have a look at the current ballast . . . :(

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Excellent - thanks oilyneil!! Don't suppose you would know which one I need? Yeah I know its a longshot . . . Not sure Alfa would know either as they are an optional extra. The only way i will know is to take the bumper off and have a look at the current ballast . . . :(
I've recently bought a set of these headlights, cheap.

When I get home, i'll take a look, not mounted them yet so easy to look at.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Rob3rto - saves me taking the bumper off! Waiting for a part number from Alexanders as well but if you can still get your part number its the offside one thats gone on mine.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts