Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect my PCV (oil/air separator) may be faulty. There's random bouts of white smoke coming from the exhaust after I slow down, my fuel consumption is slightly worse and power seems slightly down.

Previously, if I took off the oil cap, the car would run rough. However, if I do it now, the idle stays the same. The cap isn't difficulty to remove either. I put a piece of paper over the filler hole, but there's no suction at idle.

If I take off the short pipe going from the intake to the PCV, the car idles rough. If I plug the pipe with my finger, the idle stabilizes. Does this point to my PCV being faulty?

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
It’s quite an easy item to remove on most cars, it’s usually at the top of the engine bay.

I was lead to believe once removed it should rattle when shaken, if not it needs cleaning, if it can’t be cleaned it needs replacing.

Mine is accessible and gets cleaned regularly, I don’t hit it with a hammer. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've cleaned and replaced it before. I took it off over the weekend, and cleaned it. It rattled before and after, yet after I put it back, the idle still stayed the same when I removed the oil filler cap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts