Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had some fun and games with my Stelvio. The parking brake reported a fault just before I went on an errand. When I came back to the car I couldn't release the auto parking brake. In the end I had to call out Alfa Assist who managed to release it and followed me to Mangos in Knutsford for them to take a look. The Alfa Assist guy suggested I did not stop en-route as the brake might lock the wheels and then the car would be unrecoverable without a lift.

I got it to Mangos, who had it for 2 weeks (I wasn't pressuring them into fixing quickly so this was no problem) and they finally found a faulty brake caliper sensor. They had to go through a lot of diagnostics and get in touch with Alfa to diagnose this which took quite a while. Just wanted to let you know if you have this problem with your car get it to a dealers pronto.

Jo

·
Registered
920 Posts
I recently had some fun and games with my Stelvio. The parking brake reported a fault just before I went on an errand. When I came back to the car I couldn't release the auto parking brake. In the end I had to call out Alfa Assist who managed to release it and followed me to Mangos in Knutsford for them to take a look. The Alfa Assist guy suggested I did not stop en-route as the brake might lock the wheels and then the car would be unrecoverable without a lift.

I got it to Mangos, who had it for 2 weeks (I wasn't pressuring them into fixing quickly so this was no problem) and they finally found a faulty brake caliper sensor. They had to go through a lot of diagnostics and get in touch with Alfa to diagnose this which took quite a while. Just wanted to let you know if you have this problem with your car get it to a dealers pronto.

Jo

I've notice that sometimes the auto brake doesn't disengage when about to move off.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had this issue with my Giulia - the dealer said it's a known issue with Giulias and Stelvios - caused by corrosion! They cleaned mine up but 3 weeks later it's happened again so I can't park the car on a hill. Rubbish.

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
From the Giulia section

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Jo

___
2018 Trufeo White STELVIO
2.2 Turbo Diesel 210hp Milano Edizione

Update:

We are now at the beginning of 2020 and my car is once again back at Mango Service (10 days and counting) for the same fault with weeks predicted for another part. Alfa Assist have provided me with a replacement, but this whole hassle is leaving me with an issue in that I'm moving 150 miles away in 4 days and I will now need to pay to park the replacement car in central London where I'm moving to. Can I reasonably reject the car (now two years old) on the basis that, neither the dealer nor Alfa actually know what the problem is - and are basically just rebuilding the car piece by piece until they find a solution and that the vehicle is plainly not fit for purpose given that so far it's been at the dealers for a total of 5 weeks in it's life, with the same issue. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
In reality?.....no. Six months is about it for most instances. See this....

·
Registered
179 Posts
My Giulia is back home again after the parking brake fault - the dealer has replaced the parking brake switch which was showing a low signal or something. The problem hasn't occurred again yet - but the previous Alfa technician told me it was an issue with the brakes themselves. So I will monitor but now I'm very nervous about using the parking brake in traffic..

·
Registered
816 Posts
What is all this going to cost if the parking brake fails when out of warranty? It's making me reconsider my plans to keep my Giulia at the end of its two year PCP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts