Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gtv V6 gradually broke down on Saturday afternoon, originally thought knackered coil pack or packs but its been plugged in today and the only fault codes relate to the MAF

Symptoms were severe but intermittent misfire on 50%+ throttle eventually leading to refusal to idle and no throttle response whatsoever. Sunday was spent stripping down electrics and cleaning contacts, even cleaned the MAF. Put it all back together this morning before dropping off at the garage and it idled smoothly and took part throttle up to around 4500rpm and 50% pedal travel, won't go beyond that without misfiring again.

Have tried unplugging the MAF and it runs no differently apart from a slightly lumpy idle and the engine management light is on, it still won't take full throttle or rev beyond 4500

Any other suggestions before i blow almost £200 on a new MAF?

TIA

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Clear the fault codes and see if that makes any difference. If the codes won't clear or come back on diagnosing a faulty maf, than you will need a new one.

·
63,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Done that already. That's why the thread is entitled Faulty MAF diagnosis

·
63,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've bitten the bullet and forked out for one up here on holiday in north Scotland as i need one to get home. Fingers crossed a new one will cure the misfiring otherwise I'm stuffed and £170 lighter

·
63,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing wrong with the throttle

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Symptoms were severe but intermittent misfire on 50%+ throttle eventually leading to refusal to idle and no throttle response whatsoever. Sunday was spent stripping down electrics and cleaning contacts, even cleaned the MAF. Put it all back together this morning before dropping off at the garage and it idled smoothly and took part throttle up to around 4500rpm and 50% pedal travel, won't go beyond that without misfiring again.

Have tried unplugging the MAF and it runs no differently apart from a slightly lumpy idle and the engine management light is on, it still won't take full throttle or rev beyond 4500.
Nothing wrong with the throttle
Not what you said earlier!?

You'd be surprised what a simple, & free, 'throttle reset' might cure.

Clive

·
63,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hasn't registered any errors. Throttle response was due to duff MAF, which did throw up many error codes

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
...........the thread is entitled Faulty MAF diagnosis
Throttle response was due to duff MAF, which did throw up many error codes
Thought you said it was 'a faulty diagnosis'!?

Normally if you unplug a faulty MAF the engine runs fine.....in a sort of default mode.

I'd do a 'throttle reset'.....it won't cost anything.

Clive

·
63,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. A faulty MAF has been diagnosed. Jesus some people are thick on the internet

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Ungrateful & insulting.......a good way to see out 2015!!!

Yes. A faulty MAF has been diagnosed. Jesus some people are thick on the internet
You said it, even your thread's title is ambiguous, misleading.

'Faulty MAF diagnosis, potential other issue?'...........obviously, now you've forked out £170, there aren't any.

Only trying to help, I should've known better.

Clive

1 - 14 of 14 Posts