Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone I know has recently bought a second hand '99 156 2 litre, and has a problem with the fuel gauge. It sometimes registers that there is fuel in the tank, sometimes not! Anyone else had this experience- sound like a faulty sensor. If so what was needed for repair (new sensor I guess)- prices would be appreciated.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had the same problem on a 2000 156. It is a fault on the sender unit.
It needs a whole new system which includes the fuel pump ( you can not replace different parts of the fuel system ) it will cost about £240 if you take it to a dealer which is advisable as the rear seats have to come out to do the job!!!!
Another well designed feature of the 156 !!
Hope this helps.SW

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

about the sensor - i think it would not be worth the effort to change it....by dealer anyway (240 sound to bad for that job).

Instead you should reset the odometer every time you fill up the tank and from there you can see how much gas is in.

T.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had my 156 2.0TS three weeks now and still getting to know the car. I too have a fuel gauge that tends to register what ever it wants - when it wants! What I want to know though, is what MPG can I expect? And I'm not talking about the 'published' figures. Does the AirCon make any difference?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Anne P:
<strong>Does the AirCon make any difference?</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">as my father tought me whan i was a small boy :D everything matters.

put it this way - if you use some sort of energy to create another energy (blow cold air) then this original energy has to come from some sort of source (gasoline).

T.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts