Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the Giulietta a few weeks ago and the boot button/badge has stopped working - doesn't move. So have emailed the dealer and they have booked it in, saying they will replace the boot badge. Question is, is it going to be this or something else? The boot still opens on the key button, just trying to push the boot badge, it doesn't move and feels solid.
Happy with the dealers service though. The car is 7 months old. I can only remember using this when we first bought the car, does the badge actually push in to release?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Bought the Giulietta a few weeks ago and the boot button/badge has stopped working - doesn't move. So have emailed the dealer and they have booked it in, saying they will replace the boot badge. Question is, is it going to be this or something else? The boot still opens on the key button, just trying to push the boot badge, it doesn't move and feels solid.
Happy with the dealers service though. The car is 7 months old. I can only remember using this when we first bought the car, does the badge actually push in to release?
Almost certainly broken cables in the tailgate rubber tubing either side and top as viewed when open. Plenty on it on this site and first place to look.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost certainly broken cables in the tailgate rubber tubing either side and top as viewed when open. Plenty on it on this site and first place to look.
Have seen this, but thought can't be as the other functions - lights, actual lock etc work fine, plus the button is solid - wont push in - does that happen with the wiring fault?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Is the badge in the out postion or pushed in? Also has it worked since youve owned it? Sounds like the switch so I'd rule it out first :grin:
If out you could try lubing with WD40 being carefull of paint work..

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the badge in the out postion or pushed in? Also has it worked since youve owned it? Sounds like the switch so I'd rule it out first :grin:
If out you could try lubing with WD40 being carefull of paint work..
This is the thing, without seeing another, I'm not sure if its stuck in or out. It worked a couple of times and remember thinking it was a bit difficult to push in when we got the car a few weeks ago. Think i'll let the dealer replace it and see how it goes. I did think about lubing the badge, but if its doing this after only 7 months :ermm: Don't want to end up lubing it every few months cause it defective anyway?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Are you saying that your car is only 7 months old from first registration or 7 months since you've had it? The rear badge pushes about 3mm to operate the tailgate release. I've just had to fix my wiring loom as I was getting a boot open message, but the wires are so thin it could easily be a similar problem for the boot badge wires. My car is nearly five years old, low mileage but the experience of other owners are now starting to catch me up!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you saying that your car is only 7 months old from first registration or 7 months since you've had it? The rear badge pushes about 3mm to operate the tailgate release. I've just had to fix my wiring loom as I was getting a boot open message, but the wires are so thin it could easily be a similar problem for the boot badge wires. My car is nearly five years old, low mileage but the experience of other owners are now starting to catch me up!
Yes, the car is only 7 months old from first registration with just over 5000 miles on the clock. I'm thinking the boot badge is n the out position.
about 3mm to operate the tailgate
Thanks for that, now I know its not me, it definitely is faulty.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Should be a warranty fix so good news! Not had the same problem with my car but the wires are so thin it's very disturbing how they started to cut costs to save cash!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
.....but the wires are so thin it's very disturbing how they started to cut costs to save cash!
Hardly a very effective cost cutting exercise though.

With all the warranty repairs they've had to cover combined with the cost of the new harness then I'm sure it must have cost a lot more then any material costs they might have saved. Also accumulative weight reduction does have benefits

The part I thought was really silly was failing to colour code the cabling.

·
Registered
38,765 Posts
Hardly a very effective cost cutting exercise though.

With all the warranty repairs they've had to cover combined with the cost of the new harness then I'm sure it must have cost a lot more then any material costs they might have saved. Also accumulative weight reduction does have benefits

The part I thought was really silly was failing to colour code the cabling.
I agree if you can save weight the benefits are worth it! Why carry the weight of an extra person around because the engineers have not considered optimising each part?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts