Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the 156jtd for a couple of weeks now. There are a few bits which I know need sorting, but would be good to know what the ECU is thinking. How do I go about hooking up a laptop to read the current fault codes?

Car is due a service. While poking around last night I noticed that the air filter looks like a right pain in the **** to get at. Is it going to be a knuckle-shredder? Any tips?

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Had the 156jtd for a couple of weeks now. There are a few bits which I know need sorting, but would be good to know what the ECU is thinking. How do I go about hooking up a laptop to read the current fault codes?

Car is due a service. While poking around last night I noticed that the air filter looks like a right pain in the **** to get at. Is it going to be a knuckle-shredder? Any tips?

buy alfadiag (alfadiag.net) and the proper cable....(rarebear)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Yeah the filter is a pain. Watch for the screws on the top of the filter hosing being rusted. I seem to remember taking the MAF sensor and turbo u bend off with the top as one piece to save faffing. Was a few months ago mind!!! :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bobda - sounds spot on. I'll do an oil and filters change and leave the rest until the next meet. When is it (a Tuesday, I know, but can't rem if it's the first or last of the month)? Still at the same pub?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
ebay cables only work with engine & selespeed ecus

won;t work with airbag or abs ecu's

the cables that Rarebear & I sell work with all 4 ecus, fully tested before shipping too :thumbs:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
ebay cables only work with engine & selespeed ecus

won;t work with airbag or abs ecu's

the cables that Rarebear & I sell work with all 4 ecus, fully tested before shipping too :thumbs:
The cable I have (£5 off Ebay and I already have a USB-Serial adaptor) reads engine fault codes and sensor values, which is what Rich wants.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Bobda - sounds spot on. I'll do an oil and filters change and leave the rest until the next meet. When is it (a Tuesday, I know, but can't rem if it's the first or last of the month)? Still at the same pub?
It's the last Tuesday of the month, but I might be away with work so don't know if I'll be there.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
true, my point is that cable won't connect to airbag system which is often a problem with alfa's ...

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
true, my point is that cable won't connect to airbag system which is often a problem with alfa's ...
But that isn't what Rich wants.

Maybe try reading the posts made and offer useful advice, rather than trying to peddle your wares.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts

Maybe try reading the posts made and offer useful advice, rather than trying to peddle your wares.
that's a bit harsh don't you think ? :tut: we do not make a fortune on these modified cables, its a lot of work to make them work on Airbag and ABS/ASR , test them and go to the postoffice (for me a 5 mile trip), it is just to help members of this forum....
I have a big log of very satisfied users... even from South Africa
and Astralia, that says it all !

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you're both right: I did only ask for engine ecu reading, but airbag etc will no doubt come in useful one day. Trouble is you still haven't told me how much you want for one of these magic cables!

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Rich, you have to PM me , it s against the AO rules to state prices
in the forum....

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

:lol: :thumbs: (and it doesn't take long to solder up the cable to talk to the airbag etc ... I did it for the first (and only) time in about 1/2 hour )

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
They will work with a little modification which takes 5 minutes. I have done a how to thread on modifying them so it's really that simple.

and you think that any punter can solder ? :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts