Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ,
i'm having a problem with my car , it's an intermittent problem that happens when i put my foot down on the accelerator . there is a slight lull in the power delivery , put your foot down , wait about a second for the lull then it goes up through the revs as normal with no flat spots or stutters . This happens all the way through the rev range when changing gear/lifting off .
i say intermittent because one minute it's fine and drives perfect , next minute the ignition malfunction light comes on and it starts playing up again.
Now i may be going mad here but i'm convinced this is bump/pot hole related as it's fine one minute then i go over a speed bump or pothole and away you go the lights back on and the problem has returned.

i went and got alfadiag and connector and the fault code P0220 came up , cleared the fault codes and back it came again.

After doing some reading up it seams a common problem with a throttle sensor or lose connection , hopefully the latter ,
can anyone give me some advice on this as to what to look for , i've looked under the dash above the pedal and can see a black bosch cylinder and connector.
I've also looked under the glove box side to try and find the "white connection plug " mentioned in previous threads but box there are 2 white connector blocks , one at either side . Photo 1 is the one on the right , photo 2 on the left .
Are these the right blocks or do i have to delve further behind the glove box or is there another more serious problem ???
cheers
Dave

Attachments

L

·
0 Posts
afaik the connection is behind the radio. you need to remove the radio to gain access

L

·
0 Posts
Dave, to gain access did you remove the inner part of the glove box? How did you remove it?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Dave, to gain access did you remove the inner part of the glove box? How did you remove it?
mine was running at back of bulkhead if i remember not clipped back or anything cant remember removing glove box not sure ....if i still had it id look but its probably a metre sq now:cheese:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was the connector that was to the left hand side of (under) the glove box , the one in photo 2 , i traced it from the bosch cylinder thingy from above the accelerator . it had a little fixing clip on it so assume it would have been fixed up behind the glove box at some stage , all i did was remove the panel that goes from the rear of the glove box into the footwell to get to it .
I cleaned it out with WD40 plugged it back in , cleared the fault code and away we go .
So far so good , done about 20 miles across the bumpiest roads by me and all working fine again:thumbs:

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
It was the connector that was to the left hand side of (under) the glove box , the one in photo 2 , i traced it from the bosch cylinder thingy from above the accelerator . it had a little fixing clip on it so assume it would have been fixed up behind the glove box at some stage , all i did was remove the panel that goes from the rear of the glove box into the footwell to get to it .
I cleaned it out with WD40 plugged it back in , cleared the fault code and away we go .
So far so good , done about 20 miles across the bumpiest roads by me and all working fine again:thumbs:
CONTACT CLEANER WAY BETTER THAN WD40 :thumbs:

GLAD YOU GOT DESIRED RESULT:thumbs:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for this thread. havin had the same fault, read this, did exactly what you did Dave b 156, guess what, fault code gone! Blindin good fun. Cheers.

G

·
0 Posts
Old thread but sometimes it's good to revive them so owners get a recent reminder that sticks in their memory.

What I will add is:
1. Use electrical contact cleaner... Maplins do a good one.
2. Use a small, thin cable tie through the wires of both sides of the multi-plug and secure tightly...95% of potentiometer issues are down to the connection loosening and not corrosion of the contact points.
3. Clean the throttle body with carburetor cleaner as per tutorials for good measure and perform the throttle reset procedure.
4. Have cuppa and marvel at your work and the fact you have just saved upwards of £150 parts and labour;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 1999 156, found the plug just above the black box in passenger footwell, gave it a good clean and some WD and BOOM problem solved no more dash light power back to normal she's like a different car, would have spent weeks trying to find the problem if it wasn't for AO..:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts