Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps

car died last night, AA man got it started with easy start,so i know its the glow plug circuit ,tryed starting the car today and just spins over like yesterday! used fiat scan software and this code came up

PO380-board relay, thermostarter or preheat ecu. signal low, fatal

Glow Plug/Heater Circuit Malfunction
The reason for this fault is that ECU has received very low signal from the sensor. The fault is present now. Take appropriate action to fix this sensor fault. Dashboard warning light was not activated for this fault.

so is this the black box behind the egr? i also did a glow plug relay test with the software and i could hear it clicking,so im guessing thats ok?

Any help would be great

regards john

·
Registered
140 Posts
There are plenty of other faults that can cause it to fail to start other than crank sensor.

Could be a worn fuel pump not producing enough pressure. The ECU will be looking for a minimum pressure in the fuel rail before it will actuate any of the injectors.

Could be a dodgy relief valve producing the same symptoms.

More to the point if the ECU has logged a reading that is out of range from a sensor. You need to firstly identify what sensor it is and find out with a multimeter what the voltage actually is at the sensor (compare it with the reading on FES) then you should be able to pinpoint whether the fault is with the component (i.e. glowplugs or whatever), the sensor, the wiring loom or the ECU.

Sorry I can't be more specific but I am not yet that familiar with these particular engines

F

·
0 Posts
It won't be a glow plug problem that stops your engine from starting - they're not esential in the UK - it would just be a little slow to start from stone cold, but after the first minute or so be fine. If you stop and re-start the car within even several hours, it should start fine glow plugs or not.

Fletch

·
Banned
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It won't be a glow plug problem that stops your engine from starting - they're not esential in the UK - it would just be a little slow to start from stone cold, but after the first minute or so be fine. If you stop and re-start the car within even several hours, it should start fine glow plugs or not.

Fletch
So are you leaning towards the crank sensor too then ? It's just strainge it doesn't show up as a fault ? I'm going to get some easy start, so I can get my car out side my house and try it after its warmed up and see if it restarts on its own

Thanks for your help chaps:thumbs:

·
Banned
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bit of an update

got the car started with easy star, let it warm up abit turned it off and fired it up straight away! put the fiat software on it cleared the code, checked battery voltage and other sensors ,all good.drove to get some diesel,stopped filled up drove back no problem.will try and fire it up tomorrow and see if the fault code returns,as nothing has come up.im thinking its going to be the glow plug heater module thing? but we shall see

regards john

1 - 12 of 12 Posts