Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got the injector light - with a little bit of lumpy idle and varying performance

codes showing

o2 sensor

mixture control

P0340 - cylinder 1 reference ?

any suggestions ? pls :)

(someone has suggested p0340 is really a cam sensor code??????:rant: )

cf2 156

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
O2 sensor is (probably) the lambda sensor.

P0340 seems to be a cam sensor fault. Have the timing belts been changed recently? If so, the fitters may have damaged the sensor ring on the exhaust camshaft sprocket, which in turn has damaged the sensor. If the belts are due for renewal, get the sensor changed at the same time (they have to come off to change it).

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...haft-position-sensor-circuit-malfunction.html

HTH,

Iain

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
googled the code and its all cam stuff :(

belt doe 10k ago, code is recent - (reckon variator is dying tho - could be related?)

could the cam sensor being at fault cause the other codes? and does it mean it needs done if belts are good?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
From my (limited) experience, a damaged sensor ring would wreck the sensor very quickly....certainly within 10K.

I don't think the variator failing can bring on the ECU light. The actuator solenoid can, but that would be a 'phase angle adjustment' fault code, or something like that...

Opinion seems to vary on the cam sensor.... I had a GTV with a buggered one, and it ran and started 100% fine. Others say it can cause the engine to cut out or fail to start. This may be down to the engine revision - the sensor ring on the GTV had one 'notch'. The one on the 156 I'm breaking has two, for reasons best known to Alfa/Bosch!

A new sensor is about £60 from a factor, £120 from Alfa. You'd be strongly advised to change the cambelt at the same time (~£25). You could probably leave the tensioners/idler/balance belt stuff until the next due belt change. It's a risk vs cost that you need to consider carefully....

The sensor is behind the exhaust cam pulley and getting at it means doing 90% of the work required to change the timing belts (if not more).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts