Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over Chrissy / NY break Myself, My GF and my brother (all adults) including our 3 weeks worth of luggage, spare motor oil, anti freezecoolant, food, snacks, jackets, a blanket etc and a 2006 Alfa GT 1.9JTD went on a 3300km round trip from Austria,Lux, Belgium, Across the top of germany, down the other side, Prague, back to austria.

Maxed out the speedo in Germany a couple times (Past 240kph/ 150MPH +) speedo stopped at 240kph but needle kept going a few millimeters past it. (even though Wikipedia says max speed is ~214kph...

I only took a pic up to 220kph as it did get a little bit of a handfull past that speed (winter tyres combined with cold roads and northern Germany was extremely windy at the time which at times really pushed vehicles around). The AIr mass unit thing was disconnected the whole trip to see if that was causing los of power (which it was so now that is getting replaced under warranty)

What is the Fastest you have done and what model/engine/mods you have.

Speed: +150MPH / +240KPH
Model: GT
Mods: None (except that air mass thing was disconnected)
Tyres: Winter
LOad: Fully loaded

Attachments

C

·
0 Posts
I only took a pic up to 220kph as it did get a little bit of a handfull past that speed (winter tyres combined with cold roads and northern Germany was extremely windy at the time which at times really pushed vehicles around).
You really think it's a sensible thing to do that speed in those conditions in a pretty much fully loaded car on winter tyres???

Not sure if you're trying to get into the Guinness book of records or the Darwin awards.....

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Over Chrissy / NY break Myself, My GF and my brother (all adults)

As in mature adults or just fully grown adults?
"I only took a pic up to 220kph as it did get a little bit of a handfull past that speed (winter tyres combined with cold roads and northern Germany was extremely windy at the time which at times really pushed vehicles around)"

Wow that's so cool! Imagine how cool it would've been if a car doing say 70 miles an hour had pulled out into your lane, you could've had an awesome pile up killing your missus and brother. The icing on the cake would've been if you'd have taken a few more families out at the same time.

Your thread could've been 'What's the largest amount of people you've killed by driving like a nutter in crappy conditions'

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
You really think it's a sensible thing to do that speed in those conditions in a pretty much fully loaded car on winter tyres???

Not sure if you're trying to get into the Guinness book of records or the Darwin awards.....
:lol: I reckon Darwin.

G

·
0 Posts
Hmmm.... Put it this way!
My V6 has gone fast enough for me to be shocked that it really shouldn't be going that fast according to the "official figures" yet sat nav has confirmed what I thought. I didn't even have the throttle pedal nailed!
153mph speedo,148mph sat nav on a virtually empty French toll road at 5am on a lovely sunny morning, I honestly thought I was sitting around 110mph at the time.

Some Alfa's can do more than what the figures say, others can't. It's all down to how they are built, the tolerances on QC at the factory and how they are looked after and driven by their respective owner's, just look at the differences in oil usage:rolleyes:

I had a 2.0TS that would struggle to crack 120+mph unless it had a damn good run at it yet capable of smashing the official 0-60 by a second at least... Alfa's are really wierd cars, there is no such thing IMO as official performance figures go.:confused:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ummm this is the German autobahns... Why would a car pull out infront of me at 70mph??? I never said there were any other cars beside me....

**** off with your hypotheticals that didn't and couldn't happen, ignorant poms, your cotton wool society has claws further into car enthusiasts minds than I thought...

FYI the more weight on a car the more stable it sits, obviously there are too many keyboard knockers on this forum talking out of their asses. Lol why would I do those speeds when there is traffic or on open sections getting hit by the winds??? Obviously your hypotheticals are made up crap... But anyway good day to you captain sensible. Damn I must be writing this from beyond the grave... ****tts.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How fast you recon the f430 scud got last summer... Or is that another "dangerous" thing to do????

FYI the gt felt the same at 100kph or 220kph, more than that there was a bit of rattle and slight wind influence... Hense I only got the top speed once when there was no winds due to the valley and no one infront of me in the distance... If your car feels unsafe at 200kph, maintain your car correctly tight ass. Replace bushes, check suspension, balance and align tyres correctly. What type of car enthusiast drives a car that isn't perfect??? Answer: a nob.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Settling in well I see...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Ummm this is the German autobahns... Why would a car pull out infront of me at 70mph??? I never said there were any other cars beside me....

**** off with your hypotheticals that didn't and couldn't happen, ignorant poms, your cotton wool society has claws further into car enthusiasts minds than I thought...

FYI the more weight on a car the more stable it sits, obviously there are too many keyboard knockers on this forum talking out of their asses. Lol why would I do those speeds when there is traffic or on open sections getting hit by the winds??? Obviously your hypotheticals are made up crap... But anyway good day to you captain sensible. Damn I must be writing this from beyond the grave... ****tts.
I'm a Pom and hate to admit it I totally agree with you, too many people worry about "what could happen" and oh no it's against the law! Also people shouldn't pull out if cars are coming at speed and I'm sure at that speed u would be in the fast lane not the slow/ joining lane. One last thing don't own a fast Alfa unless you are going to break the rules a little I say, fun,fun,fun:lol:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I seem to have upset you, but it was you that said the conditions weren't great. Did you notice me tell Graham he was a nutter? No, because he states how good the conditions were. I also honestly didn't realise that Autobahns were only used by really fast cars, I thought they were 2 lane carriageways that allowed any car including trucks.

For the record, I've no problem with folk driving fast as long as the car and conditions allow. Our speed limits in the U.K are ridiculous, we have people driving 1980's Vw Polo's and people driving S class mercs, both can't legally do much more than 75mph.

Anyway Chill.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Are Alfas really that cheap that the Chavs are now buying them to replace their Scooby Do's etc?

"FYI the more weight on a car the more stable it sits" - That is not true, you are confusing weight with downforce. Weight needs to be evenly distributed to influence any benefit at speed.;)

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
How fast you recon the f430 scud got last summer... Or is that another "dangerous" thing to do????

FYI the gt felt the same at 100kph or 220kph, more than that there was a bit of rattle and slight wind influence... Hense I only got the top speed once when there was no winds due to the valley and no one in front of me in the distance... If your car feels unsafe at 200kph, maintain your car correctly tight ass. Replace bushes, check suspension, balance and align tyres correctly. What type of car enthusiast drives a car that isn't perfect??? Answer: a nob.
Whilst I agree that there will always be someone come up and mention speeds and conditions (they are important) it is only an opinion. I never noticed any malice either. I am not entirely sure why you had to retort with foul language :(

As for the Ferrari F430 comment, I am sad to hear that as a fellow Ferrari owner from another? Why did you feel the need to mention it? The subject was about your GT? Despite the fact a F430 (Scud) is a performance car they still demand the same respect and conditions of any car :(

Anyway chill, you live in a beautiful country (went there many years ago and do need to go back) :thumbs: ;)

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I would clearly never, ever lower myself to all of this "willy waving" regarding top speeds and "maxing the GT" on our european cousins lovely open roads.
I find the whole thread extremely distasteful and one I shall resort to not viewing in the future.

135 mph on a quiet french toll road, briefly, and the car certainly felt like there was more in it.
No mods.
Standard tyres and wheels.
Wife, me, luggage for a fortnight.

:p

·
Registered
8,916 Posts

"I only took a pic up to 220kph as it did get a little bit of a handfull past that speed (winter tyres combined with cold roads and northern Germany was extremely windy at the time which at times really pushed vehicles around)"

Wow that's so cool! Imagine how cool it would've been if a car doing say 70 miles an hour had pulled out into your lane, you could've had an awesome pile up killing your missus and brother. The icing on the cake would've been if you'd have taken a few more families out at the same time.

Your thread could've been 'What's the largest amount of people you've killed by driving like a nutter in crappy conditions'
FFS get over yourselves :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
FFS get over yourselves :rolleyes:
Yeah your right Mitch, 06GT - I apologise for having a dig at you, shouldn't have pre judged you like that, I'm sure you're probably a well versed driver. I don't wanna he arguing with fellow Alfa drivers, I usually give em a flash when passing.

For the record that 'Captain Sensible' comment really hurt man.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts