Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of the modded 916 talk has me dreaming about who unofficially has the fastest Alfa in South Africa. Something for streetable cars to aim towards, all bragging rights as we do not want to condone traffic violations. I can only suggest a few...

Monstro - maybe not in current tune???
TN's Car of the Week - still lacking enough clutch bite to boost up???
Highly Modded GQV - still waiting for a time slip better than 15 secs
GTV6 - there are some beauties hiding out there

Would love to hear from those who have or know of some killer street Alfas...just to motivate others. It would be awesome to see some of the fastest in each model and compare mods, etc. to newer/older vehicles. Where will the 4C launch fall???

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Nice thread! I'd love to see times and speeds as well. Those force-fed GTV116s up in GP have to be contenders in their categories. The Fataars' 156 is probably number 1 or close to it for NA Alfas in SA.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
There's apparently an ATC tuned 314km/h GTV 3.2 running sub 14 second quarter miles up there somewhere.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
314 km/hr! from a busso motor ? are you sure Ian with FWD? I would not like to be in that car.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Now if 314kmh is true, is there a faster Alfa than that in SA?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I wonder whatever happened to the 'Flying Doc''Stuart Kidgell from Durban. His heavily modded Gtv6 was the fastest car in SA! The last I remember he bought a kit car body from UK and fitted his Alfa motor to it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wonder whatever happened to the 'Flying Doc''Stuart Kidgell from Durban. His heavily modded Gtv6 was the fastest car in SA! The last I remember he bought a kit car body from UK and fitted his Alfa motor to it.
He did. He ran in the "Ultimate Street Car Challenge" back in 2006-2008 ran by SAVSPEED. That car used to fly!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Stuart put his motor into an Ultima chassis and has run the Knysna run a few times. I hear that his health has not been good lately. If anyone hears from him, point him to this forum as I am sure that he has some hairy tales to tell us.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Stuart is a legend and has kept the Alfa flag flying high for a long time. His Gtv even beat a superbike uphill! I have some of his photos and articles showing his victories.
The last I know was that he had opened a workshop, FTD, 'Fastest Time of Day'. Because that's what he always achieved with that legendary white 80s Gtv!

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Yes it's true. The car is on ATC website. I've seen off clock on my GTV. The speedo goes to 280. 314 is on the rev limiter at 7500rpm.
Ian, this Alfa is simply incredible! That's in the Ferrari, Lambo league!
Now, really is there a faster Alfa than this in SA?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
All of the modded 916 talk has me dreaming about who unofficially has the fastest Alfa in South Africa. Something for streetable cars to aim towards, all bragging rights as we do not want to condone traffic violations.
Fastest mean different things for different people. First to substantiate claims and to show our grown-up stance, the official strips seems to be the only answer.

Personally I dislike 0 - 400 m, it is rather easy to break gearboxes and clutches when the power goes up. The 0 - 1000 m shows a strong cars power very well in speed and time, and has the added advantage that it can be compared to other (super)car tests in magazines. But 1 km strips are scarce and on the reef we will always have the 12% disadvantage.

We don't want to change this thread into a GTI-special

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I think the Fataar's cars must be up there. Not just the 156. The GTV is mean. It is a pity that Rashied is no longer on the forum as he can give lots of info on performance figures.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Tatars Alfa's definitely!

I also hate 400m racing as its SO drier dependent that the cars potential is never truly shown.

I'd like to take my GQV onto Tarlton in winter sometime.

However,there are many cars Dawie has tuned that we jut don't hear of...

As for TLGP's I can attest my GQV is among tuned hot hatches, especially lower to the coast

1 - 20 of 63 Posts