Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Must have been hitting his limiter :p

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,535 Posts
Must have been hitting his limiter :p
Nah! A BMW will go as fast as the owner says, heard it in a bar.:vs_closedeyes:

Reactions: MalcQV

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Not sure how a Mercedes C200 was caught doing 155mph on the M1 :paranoid:

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Is it just me, or does 100mph on a motorway not really seem the huge, massive speed that it used to be?

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Is it just me, or does 100mph on a motorway not really seem the huge, massive speed that it used to be?
As a young driver I recall making the "Magic Ton" in my MKIII 1.6 Tina. To achieve it I was going down hill on the M62 :D.
Today you have to be careful in most cars as doing a ton is a bit too easy if you are not paying some attention.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
As a young driver I recall making the "Magic Ton" in my MKIII 1.6 Tina. To achieve it I was going down hill on the M62 :D.
Today you have to be careful in most cars as doing a ton is a bit too easy if you are not paying some attention.
I think given how much better cars are, motorway speed limits should be revised. 80mph is fine in typical conditions. 100mph outside of peak hours would be acceptable, say 9pm - 6am. Give that we have "smart motorways" now, there's no reason why some motorways cannot have different speed limits to others, or a higher limit could be trialled on just a single motorway.

Reactions: MalcQV

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I think given how much better cars are, motorway speed limits should be revised. 80mph is fine in typical conditions. 100mph outside of peak hours would be acceptable, say 9pm - 6am. Give that we have "smart motorways" now, there's no reason why some motorways cannot have different speed limits to others, or a higher limit could be trialled on just a single motorway.
Like the M6 toll that sits doing bugger & all most of the time for traffic. That would make an ideal test route. It has hardly any junctions which a motorway shouldn't have in the first place, many drivers won't use it, and its really nice to drive on; with little damage to its surface because of its low use.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
you make it a 100 limit folks will do 110, from my speed awareness course, most of speed is scrubbed off at the end of your braking, from 30 down to 0, going from 70 limit to 100 will really increase stopping distances, look at me being sensible, but I'm with you 70 feels like nothing in a modern car

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
In my rural backwater I'm 2 hours away from any road with a 70 mph speed limit (120 km/h actually). When I do hit a section of motorway it seems really rather fast. I guess it's what you're used to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts