Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Peeps,
Have recently given a home to an early ('96) 916 spider 2.0ltr. :happy:

It's got issues and I'm waiting on an 3 pin adaptor to plug it into a laptop. In the meantime I have done an oil change (and flush) but when i try to fast idle it, somewhere around the 1500 to 2000 RPM, it won't stay put, but wanders up and down. Worst case is over 2K, varying around the 1K, sometimes as little as 100 RPM. :scratchchin:
Has anyone seen this before, else I'll just have wait till I can get it connected to the laptop.

Its early days yet, still loads to check, and I'm annoyed with myself for not checking the compression while I had the plugs out :furious:

·
Registered
692 Posts
I wouldn't panic just yet. Sounds like a vacuum leak. Check the induction system (the pipes from the air filter to the throttle) for splits or tears.

·
Registered
164 Posts
^^

Bet you its a split in the air intake hose....I had exactly the same issue, and it was only obvious when the hose came off to get to the throttle body.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys, Really appreciate your comments. :thumbup:
I'll follow up on this as soon as I get a chance to check it out.....still trying to get the softare to work at the moment. :read:

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
It's the idle stepper motor ontop of the throttle body.
Start car and if its fast idling then pop bonnet and grab a big screwdriver. Go around to passenger side and while holding screwdriver by shaft, whack the black plastic stepper with handle, you should notice rpm drop back to normal. Then when you get a chance remve stepper motor and carefully clean.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the idle stepper motor ontop of the throttle body.
Start car and if its fast idling then pop bonnet and grab a big screwdriver. Go around to passenger side and while holding screwdriver by shaft, whack the black plastic stepper with handle, you should notice rpm drop back to normal. Then when you get a chance remve stepper motor and carefully clean.
It's not stuck at a fixed fast idle but wandering up and down, do you still think it is the 'idle stepper' ? Just asking. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, well.... found a plug off :surprised:....just above the air filter, it has reduced the wandering to a few hundred RPM.

Haven't had a chance to inspect the inlet hose properly yet, but a quick check hasn't shown anything obvious....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts