Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your cheap(ish) MAF is here. :thumbs:

The tube is designed to fit Twin Spark intakes but the sensor is identical, so you just swap the sensors over after you've taken the annoying security screws out of the tubes.

Absolute bargain compared to this. :D

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,903 Posts
Might get one as well, don't know when / if mines been changed.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Your cheap(ish) MAF is here. :thumbs:

The tube is designed to fit Twin Spark intakes but the sensor is identical, so you just swap the sensors over after you've taken the annoying security screws out of the tubes.

Absolute bargain compared to this. :D
Thanks Andy

Got a quote from B.M. in Manx :eek::eek::eek:

Off to order one now. Had a bit read up and it's looking as though the MAF is a likely culprate! Flat spot 3/4 up rev range/consumption/flooding etc (i.e. all the stuff I bored you with on Monday night :lol:)

Thanks again :thumbs:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick note - after a chat in the 156 lounge about MAFs, it turns out that it has been known for AEP to send out fake MAFs. Easy way to check is to look at the sensor which will not have any Bosch marking on it if fake. There is a picture in that thread which shows how to identify them. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also, it clearly says on the AEP site that they are not genuine: "NOT MADE BY BOSCH, THIS IS A AFTERMARKET PART)".

I hunted high and low for a genuine one last week and couldn't find anything under £85.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, it clearly says on the AEP site that they are not genuine: "NOT MADE BY BOSCH, THIS IS A AFTERMARKET PART)".
That's been added in the past week. It certainly wasn't there when I ordered mine earlier this year and I received a Bosch version.

I hunted high and low for a genuine one last week and couldn't find anything under £85.
Where from? :)

This is another site I came across - MAF 0280218019 ORIGINAL BOSCH No experience of ordering from them, though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well it arrived and it it has a hologram and a number that you can type into the Bosch site to check authenticity. Pretty convincing.

My impression is that MAF prices have risen recently, but it is sometimes difficult to know which is genuine or not!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Quick note - after a chat in the 156 lounge about MAFs, it turns out that it has been known for AEP to send out fake MAFs. Easy way to check is to look at the sensor which will not have any Bosch marking on it if fake. There is a picture in that thread which shows how to identify them. :)
I've ordered (and paid) for one but it hasnt arrived yet. I assume I have no come back if it turns out to be a non genuine one!! Can but wait and see when it arrives - fingers crossed :(

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've ordered (and paid) for one but it hasnt arrived yet. I assume I have no come back if it turns out to be a non genuine one!! Can but wait and see when it arrives - fingers crossed :(
I'd be emailing them and asking why they have suddenly changed the description on the website. It may be the case that they had a limited stock of genuine ones and they've now run out. If they tell you it's not a Bosch, then seeing as you bought it over the web you can legally return it and get a refund.

There's always the option of other site I linked to above which categorically states 'THE MAF IS NEW AND ORIGINAL BOSCH'. I haven't ordered from them, however.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have to say that when I ordered mine from eBay 7 days ago, it had the non-genuine notice on the AEP site, otherwise I was going to buy from them. Seems like I must have been lucky/unlucky to have caught it as it changed!

·
Registered
741 Posts
think I still have an original 1999 unit off my dearly departed 166 Super. Will come complete with tube and airbox lid.

Any use to someone?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Well - it arrived. So firstly I admit I didnt see any small print when I ordered it to say it wasnt genuine Bosch, secondly I am a great believer in you get what you pay for so I shouldn't have been suprised by the result, thirdly the Invoice has in big letters at the bottom that refunds will not be given unless the product dispatched is faulty and under no circumstances will they refund if the wrong product has been ordered!! Me thinks they've been here before :rolleyes:

It arrived in an unmarked box - no 'Bosch' markings anywhere to be seen on the box, the case or the sensor itself.

So, I thought, what the hell - lets give it a bash....

The result?

ABSOLUTE PANTS :rolleyes: :cry: :mad: :lol:

Upon starting the engine it coughed and spluttered and then settled. I thought - well ok - it's just sorting itself out. Also, the fuel management light came on (the one that looks like an injector). That's not a good sign I thought!

I decided (rigthly or wrongly) to go for a spin to see if there was any marked improvement. In short there wasn't. I did 30 miles (4 miles on B roads, 6 miles of A roads and 20 miles on dual carraigeway) and returned 21.7 mpg - which is no better or worse than before. I accept this isnt the most scientific measurement but I'm not risking driving any further.

I'm swapping it out tonight and putting the original one back in because essentially there's not really anything seriously wrong with it - other than a recent flooding episode and higher than normal consumption for a 2.5 V6.

I'm now off to order a GENUINE Bosch MAF for her - which TBH is probably what I should have done in the first place.

Lesson learnt (again...) :thumbs:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Peter - you can send it back within 7 days and get a refund;

• Consumers have a cooling off period in which they can withdraw from the contract for any reason. The cooling off period begins as soon as the order has been made. In the case of goods, it ends seven working days after the day of receipt of the goods. In the case of services, it ends seven working days after the day the order were made. If the consumer agrees to the service beginning within the seven days, the right to cancel ends when the service starts.
Distance Selling (Mail Order, Telephone and Internet Shopping) Fact Sheet - BIS

Hope this helps.

I'm still convinced that the website didn't state non-Bosch when I posted it.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Peter - you can send it back within 7 days and get a refund;

• Consumers have a cooling off period in which they can withdraw from the contract for any reason. The cooling off period begins as soon as the order has been made. In the case of goods, it ends seven working days after the day of receipt of the goods. In the case of services, it ends seven working days after the day the order were made. If the consumer agrees to the service beginning within the seven days, the right to cancel ends when the service starts.
Distance Selling (Mail Order, Telephone and Internet Shopping) Fact Sheet - BIS

Hope this helps.

I'm still convinced that the website didn't state non-Bosch when I posted it.
Thanks mate.

I'll have a bash.

I suspect they had genuine one's once but as the notice is in capitals and straight after the description I suspect they've shipped non genuine ones where people have thought they were genuine and been caught with a ***** load of returns - hence now adding the warning.

I've put a new post up regarding Pierburg - any thoughts??

·
Registered
21 Posts
The MAF I got from Powersparks (Yates and Bloomfield) is super and has transformed the performance of my car. Count on 7 day delivery.

Closer investigation of the outer packaging shows that it was shipped from "Bosch Ltd" earlier in the week to YB and they basically posted it on to me!

An interesting development is that they have now started to use 5 point star-headed screws to keep the sensor in the tube. I removed the 6 point ones just fine out of the broken MAF, but don't have anything that can fit this new type in my myriad of tools. Maybe it is proprietary? A vice and a couple of minutes and the problem was overcome though.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Had brand new - genuine Bosch - MAF fitted this lunchtime. I have a new car :cool:

I recommend everyone change their MAF - it's a revelation. No hunting on idle, smooooooooth gear change, no flat spot AND 22mpg through town :eek:

:p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts