Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi jb or anyone else , im a little puzzled as alfa techy by me says the variator has to be fitted with a special tools and i would be able to do it without them but it would never be right . i said but as far as i was concerned it was the locking caps that were the main problem and not the variator . again he stated that i could do it without the tools but would not be as good is this crap as ive got my tensioner ,belt , variator and poss idler to do . thanks for any replies Craig.
ps i was going to buy the locking caps for this job so that is not the issue just the variator :cool:

J

·
0 Posts

i did this one last week for andy.m and all i needed was the cam tools..but you will need a vice and a large pair of grips to unscrew the variator.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i thought jb surley it just screws on and does not have a setting as its virtually a sealed unit ? i also have quite a bit of slack on cambelt its poss to slide it off from idler side depending on where the engine stops !!!! so it is gonna be a biggy i only had this done about 20,000mls ago (variator , tensioner ,cambelt) eek!

J

·
0 Posts
errrrrr i dont quite get what you mean..???

you could just turn the crankshaft till all the slack is at the tensioner and then re-adjust it but your not really supposed to re-tension a belt.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well its hard to explain but when i stop the engine there is a lot of slack on the cambelt at the front of the engine where the belt runs over the idler pully but the rest of the belt is tought as in the top between the 2 cam pulley's and above and below the tensioner , but sometimes when the engine is stopped there is no slack in belt . the alfa mech from alfatune put the car in fith gear and no h/brake on and pushed the car slightly this moved the slack to between the pulley's he did say that this should not really be done but then went on to say that the slack between the pulley's was about twice what it should be eek! so im now gettin slightly scared as ive heard a few horror stories about the tensioner going on them causing major damage he rekons the idler pulley is the second most likely thing to cause destruction.
hope ive not bored you jb zzzzzzzzzz... :p

A

·
0 Posts
I changed my variator last week and it was a total pig to get off. In the end I had to use a 24 inch stillie to get the b..ger off :eek:

Before removing it I checked the cam timing and discovererd it was quite a bit out. This may have been due to the variator not being tight enough when installed and subsequently turning when the engine was running.

Just in case this was what had happened I checked the cam timing again after running the engine for a while.

It had not moved as it turned out.

No special tools used bar the cam locks.

J

·
0 Posts
lol...24" stillsons is exactly what i used.!!!!
and a little bit of loctite on the thread when i put it back...the timing was also out by about a tooth when i tryed to put on the cam locks.!!!

fletch..the tensoiner will go slack if the engine stops in right place to pull the tensioner.. just get it re-tensioned.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was thinking about that but heard too many horror stories about them failing after re tension so ill get it replaced , oh and im gonna get charged £50 labour to do belt,tensioner,variator. :D

A

·
0 Posts
Jimybob
Just like to say what a difference!! what was sounding distinctly ropy now sound like an Italian Tenor in full song. There is a sweet rasp from the exhaust instead of the clatter of a claped out diesel. Thanks for a job well done. wink :) :D

P.S. Any Ideas how to get to the instrument lights
The lights = on indicator has just blown.

W

·
0 Posts
Andy, easy one, undo the two screws below your dials and the whole unit comes out with access to all the lights.

wrinx

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
be carefull with connectors though , you may want to lower your wheel as much as poss first and turn all the nuts on the back of clocks a 1/4 turn to save a future job (speedo dropping off).

R

·
0 Posts
Sorry to interrupt guys but on cold starting my car sounds like a diesel for about 1.5 seconds, it's on its second variator already - please tell me it's not this again!!

regards
Raj

W

·
0 Posts
Is this new? Could just be the oil draining overnight and then taking a second or two to circulate.

wrinx

R

·
0 Posts
Hi Wrinx,

no mate, been going on for a while. usually after the cars been standing for a while but occassionally not the case...just sounds very 'tappety' for a couple seconds max..then smoother than a newborn's bum!!

regards
Raj

J

·
0 Posts
how many miles has it done........you may have weak tappets...

ANDY_M. pphheewwwwww wasnt sure what you'd say....cheers.. :D

R

·
0 Posts
Hi JB,

70,000 on the clock. I use Mobil 1 oil to top up, not Selena which I know a lot of you Guys like......can this make a difference? The car is due a Major Service pretty soon....

Hey JB, why don't you service our cars for us mate?? Most of us would be willing to pay / travel for an a true expert's opinion!! But I guess that would be like a Busman's Holiday for you right? Do you mind me asking where you work? Please don't be offended if I'm getting too personal!
My local dealer [I've only used Main dealers for the servicing] is Perry's of Aylesbury, the Service Dept there leave's a lot to be desired but I have used Mangolesti [where I purchased the car from but too far now] and SGT near Slough when the cam cover needed changing - they did a great job...will probably head back there.

regards
Raj wink

1 - 16 of 16 Posts