Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(I made this public, rather than PM, as I thought it might be interesting for anyone else considering buying one)

How are you finding your Supersprint now its bedded in? While I'm happy with the fit and finish, especially the tailpipes which look absolutely spot on and far better than the competition, I'm not entirely happy with the noise.

In the cabin, it sounds nice, if a little boomy at low RPM's. Externally, however, its pretty much silent, and I've had two people now telling me it sounds a bit 'rough'. I know its running fine, so it must be the exhaust.

I'm just uploading a video I took yesterday, will link it in a sec. For an unsilenced system, its very quiet, although the crackle at the end is nice.

Just wondered if you'd got any "under load" vids of yours, and how you felt about it? :thumbs:

Edit - vid link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkHsCctdXas

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Aye up Matt,

I haven't got any under load footage although It should be fairly easy to arrange for some to be done, maybe one evening this week with a willing helper.

To be honest I've never heard my car as a spectator, it sounds great from the inside, I didn't want it too loud as I love to hear the engine and didn't want it drowning out and I feel that it is quiet enough when tootling around without being too boomy but when I boot it the sound is pretty much... well... glorious.

At last weeks NICN I took a few people out for spins in it after I had been taken out for a spin in a Ferrari 575 Maranello, all 'drives out' took the same route and on getting back to the car park a few people said the GTA sounded nearly as good as good as the Ferrari, so obviously I'm happy with that.

:)

I have to say it does seem a bit muted from the inside though, even with the windows down, it's not a loud exhaust but the character of the noise it makes is very unique.

From the video you posted your's seems to be losing some of it's resonance and making way for more rasp and undirected noise. :( could be wind though ;) of the elemental variety :lol:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
If you want something louder than I'm more than happy to swap.;)

Seriously though, I think that sounds loud enough and any louder will start to attract too much attention, which I personally don't like. I agree with it sounding a bit rough but that could just be wind noise or the V6 with a capacity increase hiding under the bonnet.

If your coming to Auto Italia or the GTA meet then I'll be happy to take you out in mine if you want to know what it's like being in a very loud GTA.

G

·
0 Posts
That is very quiet......hmmm..........have you got a straight through centre section?

I've now got straight through centre and back box done. Both Ragazzon. She's pretty loud. Almost screams at high revs. Takes a little getting used to.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
I haven't got any under load footage although It should be fairly easy to arrange for some to be done, maybe one evening this week with a willing helper.
How about at the PH meet on Monday?

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Hmmmm, interesting subject since im seriously considering purchasing a SS.

Please give us some more 'under load' or 'on the move' vids lads, it helps the GTA lounge morale you see. :)

Im currently unsure wether to get silenced or unsilenced centre section when i take the plunge. Or wether to get twin or quad. Or anything on that subject TBH. Nowt new there then. :D

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want it stupidly loud, but a little bit more vocal would be nice...it certainly doesn't reflect how it sounds at idle...

Tahir, don't suppose you have any vids "on the move" ? And if you could do one Ghosty, it would be great :)

Problem is, nearly all the vids on the web are stationary, which gives a fairly poor example of how it sounds, so a few rolling videos would be good...

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Heres some of my thoughts regarding unsilenced SS v unsilenced Ragga....

the actual noise coming from the exhaust tip is nicer on the SS,

but when stood alongside the cars, i thought the Raga sounded meatier/louder & nicer, and the SS fairly subdued in comparison. :confused:

How about at the PH meet on Monday?
wheres the PH meet at like Andy? :)

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I don't want it stupidly loud, but a little bit more vocal would be nice...it certainly doesn't reflect how it sounds at idle...

Tahir, don't suppose you have any vids "on the move" ? And if you could do one Ghosty, it would be great :)

Problem is, nearly all the vids on the web are stationary, which gives a fairly poor example of how it sounds, so a few rolling videos would be good...
''a little bit more vocal would be nice'' - AD's manifolds spring to mind for a little more noise. Or, far cheaper and far easier to fit - a simple decat pipe would also achieve this. :)

Might be getting a vid sorted Thursday night
Nice one Sean. :thumbs:

Drighlington, just outside Leeds. Always gets a great selection of motors if the weather is good. :cool:
Is it a monthly thing or just random, do you know?
:D

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Inspired by this thread and curious as to what mine sounds like I did a very quick vid tonight. Sorry about the quality of the picture (reduced to save upload time) but the audio is OK.

Supersprint back box and silenced centre section, BMC CDA and Autodelta carbon intake pipe.
Love the induction noise at about 00:35 :)

Oh and the big metallic crash at the end is not me stuffing it but a cattle grid:lol:

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u293/swanny1971/?action=view&current=MOV04929.flv

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those BMC CDA's are loud, I've still got mine in the garage, was thinking about refitting it for a bit, but it'll cost me about £25 for the cleaning kit!

Exhaust sounds very similar to mine. Nice job :thumbs:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I always liked the sound of swannys motor, it's what pushed me over the edge into getting a GTA.

I've got my camera out and got it on charge and also managed to find some software that 'fixes' the **** files that come out of JVC Everio Hard Disk Camcorders (WTF is .MOD rubbish). Anyway, all prepped and got a mate to help with it on Thursday night, now just hope it doesn't pee it down and it;s not too windy :D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts