Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Great find. I love his simple approach with simple tools which contrasts with the general American way of needing thousands of pounds of trick tools. I've watched another couple of his videos and good to know I am reasonably close to some of his great ideas but the simple way he does this is fantastic. I expect my restoration metalworking skills will significantly improve due to this.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Genius. After watching this, I realise that I did this by accident on a section of the GTV sill - cut at an angle (quite by accident) and the thing closed up beautifully. The MIG flowed like mercury, and the join vanished..... now I know how I did it!

·
Vendor
46,146 Posts
Good video, I like that cutting at 45 degrees idea.

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
414 Posts
Someone's been watching the Alfarrari project ?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a really good find. If you do this to a sill, how do you get the cut-off bit out ?
I suppose you'd have to enough cut edges unwelded to remove the scrap. It'd make alignment for tacking more tricky, but not impossible.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
This is both obvious and brilliant. It had never occurred to me, and to read the comments, even many pro repairers hadn't thought of it.
Great job. Would've been even better if he'd put it on the right way around. Image all the crud that'll find its way into the flap's finger hole. Or was the back of the tub to the right?

All the best, Pub.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Can we make this a sticky?
There is more chance than ever that our cars will end up as uneconomic repairs due to rust.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,518 Posts
I have added it to the owner tech info under bodywork........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts