Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33,240 Posts
"The German-made car was sold to a private buyer over the telephone, Bonhams said."
A Herr Daimler , just like Damien Hirst buys his own stuff to hype it?
Verld domination propaganda by the Taxi makers.

·
Registered
33,240 Posts
Quote of the day
"we have given the Germans the opportunity to claim the entire market. I’d like to make things difficult for them and stir things up a little in this idyllic world of theirs they’ve created. You’ll be hearing from us, mark my words."
Marchionne.
Good luck to you man in the dark sweater.

R

·
0 Posts
"The German-made car was sold to a private buyer over the telephone, Bonhams said."
A Herr Daimler , just like Damien Hirst buys his own stuff to hype it?
Verld domination propaganda by the Taxi makers.
Quote of the day
"we have given the Germans the opportunity to claim the entire market. I’d like to make things difficult for them and stir things up a little in this idyllic world of theirs they’ve created. You’ll be hearing from us, mark my words."
Marchionne.
Good luck to you man in the dark sweater.
For goodness sake - it's a sad reflection on this site when a thread referencing the sale of a piece of automotive history of this magnitude becomes yet another outlet for having a pop at the modern day German automotive industry.

·
Registered
33,240 Posts
It's a sad day when this site is populated by drivers of the products from the German motor industry, Mr RSI ! Lol.
Still, I think I'll get a Focus ST next ,as is the latest trend here.

R

·
0 Posts
It's a sad day when this site is populated by drivers of the products from the German motor industry, Mr RSI ! Lol.
Still, I think I'll get a Focus ST next ,as is the latest trend here.
A genuinely pathetic response.

This has, in my experience, always been a forum where people enjoy cars of all shapes, sizes and origins, particularly in the section dedicated specifically to "General Motoring".

Yet again you have made the point that you seem to think that somehow those who are currently not Alfa Owners do not have a right to take part in this community. If you actually had any involvement in it and took the time to attend meets or perhaps build some genuine friendships with some of the people on here rather than snipe from the sidelines you'd see how wrong that view is.

The RSI thing was mildly amusing to start with.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,380 Posts
A genuinely pathetic response.

This has, in my experience, always been a forum where people enjoy cars of all shapes, sizes and origins, particularly in the section dedicated specifically to "General Motoring".

Yet again you have made the point that you seem to think that somehow those who are currently not Alfa Owners do not have a right to take part in this community. If you actually had any involvement in it and took the time to attend meets or perhaps build some genuine friendships with some of the people on here rather than snipe from the sidelines you'd see how wrong that view is.

The RSI thing was mildly amusing to start with.
I'd only start to worry if you had a pop at the Giulietta

Anyways, read this earlier on today. Price has obviously come down, it said £19.6m earlier. Lot of money for an old Merc

·
Registered
33,240 Posts
Thanks for the guess at my work status RSK . My frustration is more on the fact that Alfa has such a strong following of people , and this many in this community that cannot find an Alfa to suit them .This is because the Germans have got their car industry so well worked out financially and image wise. Last week my job took me to Turin and I spoke to some people in the industry about stuff like the likelyhood of the Giulia ever appearing etc. The day after I got back I was talking to Giovanni Alessi of the Italian company and he was saying how they try to make their products in Italy but if its more than 30 percent extra cost its produced somewhere else. Yes , in my small minded way I'm just frustrated that the Italian brands are being dragged down by their system so we are destined to have to buy German brands .

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I wonder is the car "creatively" restored to a post-race condition, or was it just kept like that after competition, but £19 million is madness (£17.5 million plus comission -- it's good to be an auctioneer, sometimes ;) ). I could see the manufacturer buying it, but then, they must also have sold it years ago, too, for it to have got into private hands, so not such a smart move if it was them...

Even a brute like this shows that those 1950s F1 cars are things of beauty, from all makes - the sobering thing is how lethal they were to the drivers. Fangio's genius was in being able to win without pushing his car too close to the point where it could kill him.

If you've never visited it, the Mercedes factory museum in Stuttgart has a magnificent collection of early racing cars; if you've a second day, the Deutsches Museum automotive collection in Munich is only 90 minutes away by train.

I'm not a huge fan of current German cars which I think are trading on their past glories, but there's no denying that that those past glories are real, and the country's manufacturers have produced some beautiful cars...

·
Registered
974 Posts
Thanks for the guess at my work status RSK . My frustration is more on the fact that Alfa has such a strong following of people , and this many in this community that cannot find an Alfa to suit them .This is because the Germans have got their car industry so well worked out financially and image wise. Last week my job took me to Turin and I spoke to some people in the industry about stuff like the likelyhood of the Giulia ever appearing etc. The day after I got back I was talking to Giovanni Alessi of the Italian company and he was saying how they try to make their products in Italy but if its more than 30 percent extra cost its produced somewhere else. Yes , in my small minded way I'm just frustrated that the Italian brands are being dragged down by their system so we are destined to have to buy German brands .
Still cue, no need to have a pop at owners of other brands. I get the frustration, the Focus ST ain't a German brand so at least that's a positive :).. If Alfa could match Ford's standard deal of 21K for a high spec'd 250HP fun to drive car with finance options of 4K deposit and £211.00 pounds a month over 24 Months, then people would be all over it like a fat kid on cup cakes. Worst thing is, I got mine cheaper than that and a 5 year warranty plus extra's.

Back on topic, that is one expensive Merc. But can you put a price on a piece of automotive history?

·
Registered
33,240 Posts
Shadowlamd , interesting figures!
' not sure if I should have another go , but i did not believe I was having a pop at people who have had to replace their Alfa with another marque themselves . My point is that Alfa has a bunch of people here who are so keen that they stick together even without owning an Alfa. And I hope they will get them back once people have had to replace their 159 etc with a German car. Will they get them back with the Giulia? Mercedes would not stop offering a C class , even if the CLA takes some of its customers etc.

R

·
0 Posts
Appreciate that I was short but it's just such a recurring theme on here to have a pop at people who buy other cars, in particular German ones. It's such a well worn and tired refrain and really does come across as unbelievably myopic. That a thread about a historic racing car can become what seems like yet another outlet for this just seems ridiculous to me.

I've owned an Alfa, I liked some things about it, I didn't like others, I do have a residual affection for the brand but I like lots of different cars. If they made a car as good as the one I have now I would have seriously looked at it, sadly they don't and under the current management direction I can't see they are going to which is a shame.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Shadowlamd , interesting figures!
' not sure if I should have another go , but i did not believe I was having a pop at people who have had to replace their Alfa with another marque themselves . My point is that Alfa has a bunch of people here who are so keen that they stick together even without owning an Alfa. And I hope they will get them back once people have had to replace their 159 etc with a German car. Will they get them back with the Giulia? Mercedes would not stop offering a C class , even if the CLA takes some of its customers etc.
Completely agree, let's see what they come up with and I'll be very interested. Unfortunately Alfa placed people in a situation where they couldn't wait.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts