Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Fan blower decided to stop working today.

Plugged multiecuscan and showing a electric fan control fault.( B1940-17 ) fault won't clear

I also have a intermittent fault for the rear heated screen relay.

Just wondering has anyone had this before and if it's a easy fix. Nearest dealer is 2 hours away.

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi all.

Fan blower decided to stop working today.

Plugged multiecuscan and showing a electric fan control fault.( B1940-17 ) fault won't clear

I also have a intermittent fault for the rear heated screen relay.

Just wondering has anyone had this before and if it's a easy fix. Nearest dealer is 2 hours away.

Thanks
The same thing happened on my previous G Super, in the middle of February, so had some chilly journeys for a while. It was sorted at Mangos who replaced the motor, which had failed due to water ingress. There was some sort of additional sealing applied to the new one, as directed by Alfa in Italy.

BTW, Mangos get some bad press, but they looked after me well, kept the car until it was sorted and gave me a Veloce loan car for the duration (and they hadn't supplied the car originally).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've updated my car to a Giulia now :)

Thanks for the replies.

Ah ok I'll take out the motor Tomorrow for a look and see if there's anything notable.

I'll also ring the dealer and see if they will order a new part based on the fault code from multiecuscan to make it one trip to the dealer. As apposed to one to diagnose and one a week later to fix when the part arrives.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
https://www.dtcdecode.com/Alfa-Romeo/B1940-17

Alfa Romeo DTC B1940-17
Make:
Alfa Romeo
Code:
B1940-17
Definition:
Cabin Fan - Circuit Voltage Above Threshold
Description:
This DTC sets if the HVAC Module detects that the Blower Motor feedback voltage is above a predetermined allowable range.
Failure Type:
Circuit Voltage Above Threshold
This sub type is used for failures where, the control module measures a voltage above a specified range but not necessarily a short to battery.

Is stop-start working Paul ?
:vs_wave:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I managed to get a free half hour to diagnose the issue.
Followed the flow of the pdf kindly supplied by crosshairs (from Giulia forums)
Long story short with fan speed set to high , voltage at the connector to the blower is battery voltage.
Removed the fan,
Rust on the spindle and water on the fan blades.
Fan was stiff to turn. Sprayed some penetrating oil into the motor and freed it up. Plugged it back in and it's working again.

Obviously this is not a permanent fix but it will hopefully last until it's next service in a couple of months and save me a 4 hour round trip.

Hugh, stop start has not worked note than a handful of times since purchase

1 - 6 of 6 Posts