Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My 2.0 147 has developed a sound. Initially I thought it was the fanbelt slipping but it wasn't quite the same sound. I have since found that it happens if I rest my foot on the clutch (Not what I regularly do) and when I change gear. So it happens very early on as I engage the clutch and it stops when I fully remove my foot from the clutch. The clutch appears to be working perfectly. What do you think it is? Also, what cost to fix?

Russ

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see, is it the sort of thing I could get by without changing? I did wonder why you would need a new clutch because the release bearing has gone but is it the sort of situation where you have to do quite a job to remove the release bearing so you may as well replace the clutch while you are there?

C

·
0 Posts
It get louder and louder then it'll make some pretty horrible noises and smell like burning plastic. Then it'll fail. You'll be in a rush to do something, it will be raining and you will curse yourself for not fixing it sooner.

It's a gearbox off job. It's been a while since I've changed one on a tspark and I can't remember if it comes as part of the clutch kit or if it's part of the slave cylinder. I'd suggest you replace the clutch and the slave cylinder anyway so it's largely irrelevant.

Don't expect much change from £300 - £400 (parts and labour)

·
Registered
37,519 Posts
The 147 has a concentric slave, and the release bearing is part of it if I remember correctly.

You would be silly not to change it anyway once it is apart even if it was ok.

If you leave it, the noise will get worse, and you may end up stuck somewhere with a clutch that doesn't disengage.

C

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I've just checked. The release bearing is part of the slave cylinder as Symon says. You'd be very foolish not to replace the clutch whilst its apart though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. It seems to have gone silent again but I will listen out for it and start saving some cash.

Russ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts