Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Quick question but when I bought my alloys they came with low profile Falken tyres. When they arrived at the dealership the engineer guys said that there hard and not very grippy and that I should replace them with Pirelli's. Now they seem to be ok but I must admit I don’t have the biggest of confidence when going into corners. I just wanted your guys opinions on Falken vs Pirelli’s and wether Pirelli's would make a differnce to the ride/grip?

Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Falken are in the 'budget' tyre category but I wouldn't be in a huge rush to change them. What model & profile are they?
What Pirelli did they recommend then? ...... and did the dealer sell them by any chance?......

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Falken are in the 'budget' tyre category but I wouldn't be in a huge rush to change them. What model & profile are they?
What Pirelli did they recommend then? ...... and did the dealer sell them by any chance?......
Hey Rik,

Yea the dealer did offer to swap them over when i bought the car but it was going to cost like £400-£500 :wow: so I didn’t bother. I don’t know the model but there the 215/40 I think (18" Alloys) and the Pirelli would be the same. I probably won’t bother changing them until they really need to be but just for reference next time, is it worth paying the extra £££ for Pirelli?

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
The Pirelli ( P 6000 ) tyres I had on both my new 145 Cloverleaf's were useless, didn't give that much grip in the wet, and wore out VERY quickly on the inner side after about 5000 miles, so I wouldn't try Pirelli if I were you, although you have a different Car. I would look at Goodyear F1 series, if they do them for the MiTo that is !!!!!........:thumbs:

Hope that helps !!!!!!.......:):)

·
Registered
179 Posts
is it worth paying the extra £££ for Pirelli?
Tyre threads usually end in arguments with everyone spouting their favourites and rubbishing everyone else’s!!!!:rant::rant::tut::rant::rant::lol::lol:

Falkens are good enough though IMHO and I would be happy to keep them..

I’ve got no brand loyalty when it comes to tyres, I always have a little search to see what’s on the market and then make my choice based on a combination of price, speed rating and perceived road noise/grip/longevity.

My only recommendation would be to always buy in pairs (2 fronts or 2 rear) so you match the tyres on the same axle so to speak and you should get a discount for buying in multiples (more if you do all 4)

Have a look at Blackcircles.com and mytyres.co.uk and do a search fully fitted. This will give you a good idea of the choice available and prices. Pick 2 or 3 you fancy and then ring local firms and see if they can come up a better price. My local Universal Tyres (Staines) usually beats anything I ask them to. :thumbs:

·
Registered
647 Posts
It depends on what Falkens they are. The FK 452's are a high performance tyre at a budget price...

The Pirrelli P Zero Nero is an expensive tyre & will cost you a fortune and wear quickly - but is a better tyre than the Falken...

What do you want out of a tyre?

I use the Falkens & am perfectly happy with them.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response guys!

I think there 318X? :confused: won’t know until I actually get home though. I’m guessing the model will be on the side of the tyre?

I’m just trying to get the most grip from the car that I can get, without spending a ridiculous amount of money and that wont ware out after 5000 miles. I don’t know, the Mito does grip more than my old 1.2 Clio but still don’t have massive confidence when coming into corners. Maybe I’m expecting too much from the little Mito? How long do tyres take to bear in by the way?

Thanks!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Different tyre models will differ greatly even within the same brand - Pirrelli P6000's do not compare with P Zero Neros etc...

I can recommend Falken FK452's but have been told to stay away from other Falkens...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Different tyre models will differ greatly even within the same brand - Pirrelli P6000's do not compare with P Zero Neros etc...

I can recommend Falken FK452's but have been told to stay away from other Falkens...
Ok mate ill keep that in mind when i come to change them :thumbs: - thanks

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Thanks for the response guys!

I think there 318X? :confused: won’t know until I actually get home though. I’m guessing the model will be on the side of the tyre?

I’m just trying to get the most grip from the car that I can get, without spending a ridiculous amount of money and that wont ware out after 5000 miles. I don’t know, the Mito does grip more than my old 1.2 Clio but still don’t have massive confidence when coming into corners. Maybe I’m expecting too much from the little Mito? How long do tyres take to bear in by the way?

Thanks!
mainstream tyres are already designed to give a compromise of durability, grip and noise but these properties tend to contradict each other, so it is hard to get the perfect combination.

I don't know much about different tyre models but if you go to something more focused towards grip you will be sacrificing longevity or noise unless you are paying for a very high quality tyre. I'm guessing the cheap tyres are generally bad in all ways, so if you want a high performance tyre that also has long life then you will have to pay a lot.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mainstream tyres are already designed to give a compromise of durability, grip and noise but these properties tend to contradict each other, so it is hard to get the perfect combination.

I don't know much about different tyre models but if you go to something more focused towards grip you will be sacrificing longevity or noise unless you are paying for a very high quality tyre. I'm guessing the cheap tyres are generally bad in all ways, so if you want a high performance tyre that also has long life then you will have to pay a lot.
Bah ok, I think ill just compare the Pirelli P zero and the Falken FK452 when the time comes. Depends on how much money I have at the time :thumbs:

B

·
0 Posts
Just(last wednesday) replaced 2 Michelin Piolts with 2 falkens, no difference at all ,grips well,brakes the same no extra noise & is a good set of tyre's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts