Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
46,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know the ones I'm on about - at the front of the side skirts.

The one on my drivers side has come off. Luckily it's gone inside the skirt, so it's not lost. But has anyone got any ideas how I retrieve it, and how I fix it?

·
Administrator
46,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No-one?
I can't work out why it's fallen out actually. It points backwards, so can't have been hit by a stone.
Maybe someone's tried to half-inch it for some reason.

K

·
0 Posts
This has happened to mine on the passenger side, I pushed it in when cleaning it the other day:( , drivers side seems to be ok. It looks like it just clips on to the inside of the side skirt and have tried to clip it back on but to no avail (it just falls back inside). The only way I can see to fix it is to remove the front part of the side skirt and maybe glue it back in?

·
Administrator
46,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, that's the conclusion I've come to as well. Like I'll take the skirt off without buggering something up :rolleyes:

K

·
0 Posts
That would be my next question as well, how do you get the side skirts off?:confused:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Dont think they are supposed to be brake ducts, just helping shape the air that passes?

·
Administrator
46,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dunno. They look to the glance like they channel air through them, but on closer inspection they are blanked off. I think they are pretending to be something they're not.

Not that I'm conplaining, they're part of a car which looks fantastic, and it's not like they detract from that.

Anyone know how you get the side-skirts off then? They look perfectly removeable around the middle, but worryingly un-removeable at the front. Almost look like they're painted in situ.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
can you get to anything by taking the jacking point cover off?

That front bit comes off separately anyway doesnt it.

·
Administrator
46,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The implication from their look is that they are the exit point for air channeled from within the wheelarch.
Clearly they do not achieve this purpose, since they are blanked off.

But we're getting away from the point, how do I remove the skirty bit?

As OA says, the front bit looks separate, but it also looks securely attached to the front wing (glued in place?) It certainly doesn't look like you remove a couple of screws and it falls off.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The dealer had the skirts off mine when they did a respray on them and fitted a new front wing. I have no idea how, but they do come off. You possibly need solvent to undo whatever sticks them on.

I reckon that air does pass through them cos when the fans are running and your reaching for your McD's at the drive through window you can feel the warm breeze.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The side skirts are a pain to get off, once you've taken all the screws out, the skirts are still glued on with some type of rubber cement at the top.

Took me the best part of 2-3hrs to get a knife up the inside of the skirt and try cut the glue, and believe me it is painful, you almost have to have a double jointed hand to do it.

Rather give it to a panel beater and let them battle with it.

·
Administrator
46,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that gazza. I'm starting to think I might just let a bodyshop do this, assuming I can't pull the bit into place from outside.

·
Administrator
46,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not exactly. I went to a bodyshop, and he thought that taking the whole assembly off would be a massive job for such a daft reason. Because of how that front bit is stuck on, hard to see how it could be done without requiring a resray too afterwards!
But what he did (and what I should have done myself if I'd been thinking) was to grab one of the fake fins with some pliers, and pull it back into place like that. Told me to apply a drop of superglue to hold it there, but actually I haven't got round to doing that, and it's stayed in place for a couple of months now.

One tip - if you do use pliers, use a cloth or something too - my fake duct now has very faint plier-tooth marks on it. :D

·
Administrator
46,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, Gwales - there's definitely no air through-put, they're purely decorational. If you look closely at them you'll see that they're completely blanked off.
The air you're feeling is probably just escaping down the back of the wing, or through the windscreen scuttle or wheel arch.

·
Administrator
46,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cheers bazza! i see you live in congo? i think I've seen you about . im in sandbach
Really? I don't think I've ever seen another 156 GTA on the road!
Or are you in a red 147GTA? I see one of those occasionally.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts