Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just back from holiday towing a small caravan for 1500 miles. A "clunk" noise has developed when changing gear, it feels like there is play somewhere, but I don't know how a DMF works if this could be the problem. If so will it get worse? The clutch is not slipping. I hope someone can tell me it is not an expensive noise.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Hello there,

My mechanical knowledge is limited but I do remember that a slipping clutch will mostly show itself when in a higher gear and accelerating. It does not feel dissimilar to a loss of power from the engine. Do you know the service history of the car and whether the DMF/clutch has already been replaced? I've heard that sometimes the clips below the gear lever cover have been known to come loose and create a noise, that's a very cheap fix. Have a look at this thread, it certainly details clunking noises from a 159.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/184417-159-clutch-gear-box-clunk.html

I hope this helps and good luck solving it! :thumbs:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Baxter2308, thanks for that helpful link. I think it has a link to heat, it was worst driving in Holland at 34c. I will just change gear gently unless is breaks. I do wonder if a gearbox oil change would help.

·
Registered
219 Posts
same problem, did not fix it yet, dmf, gearbox mount, dif or gearbox... still trying to figure what is wrong. changed engine mount and improved a bit, now the clunck looks like is comming from left side

1 - 4 of 4 Posts