Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife jumped in car yesterday, switched on wipers and nothing. Given the weather you can imagine she wasn't too happy.

Got home and the 20amp fuse had blown. Put in a new one, switched on and pop again. So motor me thinks ...

Removed wiper arms, scuttle and the plastic cover from the motor. Pull off the wiring connector, remove three 5mm hex bolts and the old motor and wiper mechanism is out. One 13mm nut on end of motor spindle (note position of drive arm!) and three 10mm bolts and motor is separated. Flicked up four plastic "clips" on the semi-clear plastic cover and lifted it off. On brass 'finger' has lost the end and the other two badly worn where it runs on the wheel. The one that had broken seems to have worn a slight channel and is jamming in a hole when the motor gets to a certain point. This makes it seize and fuse blows.

Luckily I had a 2nd hand motor in the garage (this happened before, but I fixed it ... for about three years!).

Just connected the another motor initially and tried the wipers switch and motor jumped into life ... actually at 2nd attempt after I remembered to put new fuse in!

Cleaned up motor spindle on 'new' motor and a think coat of copper slip. Bolted back and replaced in car. Run a few times with no wipers to adjust spindle positions.

Just over an hour and it's back ... and all working properly. (Couple of screws on scuttle still to replace!)

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
yes, great work indeed.

Now throw out the scrap :cheese:

A while back a friend of mine, his wife did similar, tried to operate wipers in the SNOW ..... fuse blew & the brushes in the motor went O'C, all 3 of them... so we stipped the motor, cleaned the brushes & commutator

been working now for > 2 months :)

why 3?

1 is 'earth'

1 is lo/hi speed supply

1 is intermittent feed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts