Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a few other threads, just wanted to check.
I've experienced the erratic temperature needle for some time so i'm used to that but even on this colder morning I suddenly experienced my cooling fan kicking in this morning coupled with lack of max heat from the cabin heating. Is the stat gone? Or could it just be the sensor.
i parked up asap at home and have not dione anything since. Should be cool enough for a butchers now.

·
Registered
656 Posts
After reading a few other threads, just wanted to check.
I've experienced the erratic temperature needle for some time so i'm used to that but even on this colder morning I suddenly experienced my cooling fan kicking in this morning coupled with lack of max heat from the cabin heating. Is the stat gone? Or could it just be the sensor.
i parked up asap at home and have not dione anything since. Should be cool enough for a butchers now.
When the fan kicked in was the car upto operating temp ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi there! by no means. it had been running for 5 mins approx in slow traffic. i also have not seen the fan running since august!

·
Registered
224 Posts
A failed thermostat would be indicated by the car not reaching 90degrees and wandering between the 60 and 80degree markers.

The fan kicking in would indicate an overheating issue which are opposite ends of the scale.

Curious one this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you think it could be a sender fault as the temp gauge just dropped off the scale, almost as if the plug had been pulled!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i fannied around a bit when engine was totally cold. unplugged the stat sensor, sprayed it. plugged it back on. checked all fluid levels and started it up with expansion tank cap off.
fan came on immediately!!!! weird!
anyhow. gauge was at minus whatever and resting below 50. water was warming behind stat(small pipes) and still cold in front(large pipe)
the fan stopped after about 5 mins of tickover.
temp needle not moved at all at this point.
blower air was lukewarm in cabin. 5 mins after fan stopped large pipe was becoming warm. replaced expansion cap. expansion pipe became warm.
after 20 mins, the temp gauge was at 50, just!!

engine now nice and warm and pipes all nearly too hot to touch. fan still off. temp nearly 60. cabin heat nice. went for drive, temp didn,t change and fan didn't kick in. all back to, a weird, normal!?!?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am having a simlar problme in that my temp guage rarely reaches 90 it usually hovers inbetween 80 and 90 unless im doing about 80 mph onn the motorway then it gets up there. never goes ove rthough! i'm just worried that the engine is getting hotter than it says it is???

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I am having a simlar problme in that my temp guage rarely reaches 90 it usually hovers inbetween 80 and 90 unless im doing about 80 mph onn the motorway then it gets up there. never goes ove rthough! i'm just worried that the engine is getting hotter than it says it is???
in between 80 and 90, ie 85 :)lol:) is fine. Nothing to worry about :thumbs:

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Here is the information 156Chris sent me - took me an hour and I have never worked on a car before! Problem is now fixed.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engi...ow-to-change-a-thermostat-on-a-twinspark.html (How to: Change a thermostat on a twinspark.)

I rang the guys at Auto Lusso and they sent me a new theromostat, delivered for under £40 (and it was delivered in two days)

AutoLusso - Quality Alfa Romeo Servicing and Repairs
Sorted, well done :thumbs:

Ned

1 - 13 of 13 Posts