Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 156 passed everything yesterday apart from the emissions. They were out by a huge amount on everything. Got her booked back in on thurs to see what the problem is. I think its a lamba sensor problem that i have got so lets see how much this is gonna cost me! lol.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the oil tepm was 81 as well even tho it always says its below 70!

co level can be a max of0.3 and mine was 9.87%
HC level max is 200ppm and mine was 606ppm
lambda normal is 0.97-1.03 and mine was 0.73

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Ah right, sorry I can't help I'm a diesel man.. I would have suggested cat converter but I don't even know if the TS's have them.. Someone should come along shortly..

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Could be the lambda ... does this help?? Emissions

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah that does make sense. Looks like it is the lambda or a hole in the exhaust. Will search the whole exhaust tomorrow for any holes before it goes back in on thurs for a diagnostic test. The garage said they had failed 2 alfas within the last week both for the same problem, then commented on thats what happens when u get an alfa! lol

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I don't know much about the lambda system, I'm currently trying to figure something out about the lambda system myself, but I'm guessing the value on your readout points to a dodgy lambda sensor?

·
Registered
324 Posts
the oil tepm was 81 as well even tho it always says its below 70!

co level can be a max of0.3 and mine was 9.87%
HC level max is 200ppm and mine was 606ppm
lambda normal is 0.97-1.03 and mine was 0.73
how do you know the oil temp is below 70 If the guage inside the car says below 70 it could be a temp sensor causing the problem if the guage uses the same sender

A

·
0 Posts
Get it to Alex Jupe Motorsport in Fareham. You won't get any dumb mechanics comments about Alfas.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
will do next time, I have just dropped it off at the place again for diagnostic tests and they said that the alfa that they had earlier in the week has just been sent to the alfa garage for £500 worth of work as well as the £300 it cost them to find the prob. Hope mine doesn't cost that much or the alfa will be coming off the road till october when i qualify as a nurse and can afford to put it back on the road. Damn, people are right when they say how can a student afford an alfa lol.

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
Mine failed on emmissions the other day and it was the lambda sensor. my emmissions were 0.6% C with a slightly unsteady fast idle.
9.87% CO does seem an awful lot for a lambda sensor issue. I would suggest it could be a MAF or CAT Problem although a coolant temp sensor could cause this.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rrr bl**dy car!! hope its something very simple. It does have a dodgy idle that has started recently so hope its something simple. bet its not. I love my car, i hope it doesnt get pulled off the road cos i cant afford it.

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
rrr bl**dy car!! hope its something very simple. It does have a dodgy idle that has started recently so hope its something simple. bet its not. I love my car, i hope it doesnt get pulled off the road cos i cant afford it.

if you have a dodgy idle as well as high emissions my money would be on the MAF. Especially as your CO reading is so high.
It may be worth changing the lambda too though as they are cheap from e-bay if you don't mind soldering.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got her back from the garage and the test showed that it is the lambda. Its gonna have a new one fitted tomorrow but before i go im going to try cleaning the maf like i have seen people have from other threads on here before. Seems to have lost power since they did their test earlier so hope thats sorted tomorrow! thanx 4 the advice symonh2000

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
The loss of power might just be the ECU relearning.

I'd only touch one thing at a time (learnt my lesson!).

Let them do the lambda, get the MOT then play with the maf. And be careful they aren't as cheap (and DON'T buy from ebay unless it is a dealer).

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
The loss of power might just be the ECU relearning.

I'd only touch one thing at a time (learnt my lesson!).

Let them do the lambda, get the MOT then play with the maf. And be careful they aren't as cheap (and DON'T buy from ebay unless it is a dealer).
Wise words there. Only change one thing at once. There should be no need to clean the maf. get the lambda changed and then drive for a week before you decide to fiddle with anything else ! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
yeah that does make sense. Looks like it is the lambda or a hole in the exhaust. Will search the whole exhaust tomorrow for any holes before it goes back in on thurs for a diagnostic test. The garage said they had failed 2 alfas within the last week both for the same problem, then commented on thats what happens when u get an alfa! lol
I hate it when folk make a comment like , I know its aybe a wind up , but it goes back a long way, however if only they were truthful as there are hundreds of other makes out there with the same gremlins so sod em!:mad:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts