Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anybody help? I spent just over a grand 2 months or so ago on a new cat, lam sensors, MAF unit etc. put the car away in a lock up until required for the summer months and starting it up once a week let it run until warm etc. it was taken in for its MOT so as to be ready to tax it on the 1st of July only to be told its failed on emissions if its had new sensors etc, what else can it be?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Clean the EGR valve and check all turbo hoses for splits and that they are secure. Also check all induction pipes for splits and that they're secured too. Then, run a good dose of injector cleaner through it and give it a proper Italian tune up (20mins on the motorway at 70 in 4th should blow some crap out).

·
Registered
981 Posts
Clean the EGR valve and check all turbo hoses for splits and that they are secure. Also check all induction pipes for splits and that they're secured too. Then, run a good dose of injector cleaner through it and give it a proper Italian tune up (20mins on the motorway at 70 in 4th should blow some crap out).
Tommy, while I appreciate your gusto for Italian spring cleaning, I don't think its a dirty devil's fuel drinker.

There is no guarantee that a new sensor isn't faulty. I would get a friendly garage to have a look at or read the fault codes on the ECU.

Nick

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Tommy, while I appreciate your gusto for Italian spring cleaning, I don't think its a dirty devil's fuel drinker.

There is no guarantee that a new sensor isn't faulty. I would get a friendly garage to have a look at or read the fault codes on the ECU.

Nick
Agreed but blowing the crap out of a diesel works wonders...;)

G

·
0 Posts
I agree... Codes read if any and an Italian tune up required... It does wonders....;)

Bring back Tapatalk !!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
umm its petrol would that make a difference also there's no warning or engine fault lights on and drives without a hiccup

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
How far off was it?
Could be that the garage starts and no prolonged run has left deposits in the exhaust system that need to burnt out (especially in the cat which needs to get quite hot to get it working right)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
umm its petrol would that make a difference also there's no warning or engine fault lights on and drives without a hiccup
Oops I assumed it was a diesel, sorry. When was the air filter last changed? Many people omit doing it during a service because its not as straight forward as most cars. If its not been done in the last 12k its worth doing it. Then check all the induction pipework, check oil breathers, stick a full bottle of Reddex in the tank with £20 of V-Max and give it an Italian tune up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
garage that did the mot was about 2-3 miles away from where the car is stored the father in-law drove it there for me so probably didn't give it any welly and the garage said they tried the emissions test three time letting the car get up to normal temperature before trying or so they say

G

·
0 Posts
garage that did the mot was about 2-3 miles away from where the car is stored the father in-law drove it there for me so probably didn't give it any welly and the garage said they tried the emissions test three time letting the car get up to normal temperature before trying or so they say
There's the issue mate.... Letting the vehicle tickover up to operating temperature can dramatically increase the hydrocarbon and CO2 content exponentially. The catalytic converter will store a lot of HC in particular while there is a lack of exhaust pressure. Only on fast idle will it actually drop in ppm relative to the revs in comparison as a percentage.

That's exactly why it is so important to give a car a decent run out (Italian tune up method). It purges the stored deposits that have coated the element of the catalyst material through constant heat and healthy volumetric pressure of the exhaust system at speed. Even more important to do if all you have been doing is regularly starting the car up and warming it up.

You can ask your testing station to forgo a retest for now and pay a modest labour fee for the time it takes them to perform an emission test only after you have purged the exhaust gases directly after a run.... That way you haven't affected a retest and can see if a good run out has lowered the measurements and on the right track;)

Bring back Tapatalk !!!

G

·
0 Posts
I take it you can't run it far due to the MOT / tax situation ,I think I might have the same problem as just changed the engine in mine and can tell it needs a good run to clear the cr!p out but can't really go anywhere till its taxed and MOT'd . Is there anything else that can be done.? :(
Love the new photo Grahameo:thumbs:

G

·
0 Posts
You can simulate with constant revs at 4,000 for twenty minutes. However it will never be as effective as real road due to the engine torque putting effective labouring pressure on the exhaust system and you really need effective air flow cooling, like a rolling road test. Not ideal really.

Bring back Tapatalk !!!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Thankyou got to be worth ago rather than a fine or worse :thumbs:
Just spoke to my brother (police officer). He said as long as you book the car into the garage for its retest you'll be fine driving it to warm it up and give it a blast out, as long as your ultimate destination is the MOT station and your route isn't excessively out of the way. Take your fail notice with you along with your insurance and tax renewal notice and you should be fine...

G

·
0 Posts
Just spoke to my brother (police officer). He said as long as you book the car into the garage for its retest you'll be fine driving it to warm it up and give it a blast out, as long as your ultimate destination is the MOT station and your route isn't excessively out of the way. Take your fail notice with you along with your insurance and tax renewal notice and you should be fine...
As a former Vosa chief examiner I can safely say the above is correct, there are loop holes in any regulation.... ;)
However, as long as it is not completely in the wrong direction and the car is not in an unsafe condition, which emissions aren't.

What many vehicle owners don't realize is that as long as your insurance policy covers you (some don't) you are still covered third party only regardless of you have fully comprehensive insurance, you are also permitted to drive to and from a chosen local repair centre's too regarding a failed item that is need of repair and/ or replacement, as long as the vehicle is not in a state of dangerous condition to undertake such a journey. It must be pre booked in for the repairs that canbe confirmed easily by Vosa or a law enforcement officer.
An mot examiner/ nominated tester by law must inform you if a vehicle is in his opinion in a dangerous condition in the failure notice item list.
If notice of dangerous condition has been given then a vehicle must be transported off site and not used until sufficient repairs have been completed. Then the vehicle can then be driven back to the approved testing centre for a retest.;)

Bring back Tapatalk !!!

G

·
0 Posts
Cheers guys . My mot tester is about 500 yards round the corner and live in an area that has cameras on every road and junction that was my concern . It s the after the fact issue of being caught on camera with no tax as I don't have a current mot and the car has been sorn for the last 3. Months ?

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
As long as you have 3rd party insurance and a pre-booked MOT you can drive it on the road but only to/from the MOT.

You might need to find a different tester further away to get the car really heated through ...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Cheers guys . My mot tester is about 500 yards round the corner and live in an area that has cameras on every road and junction that was my concern . It s the after the fact issue of being caught on camera with no tax as I don't have a current mot and the car has been sorn for the last 3. Months ?
Brother said it will be fine as long as you carry the documents I told you about and you're not miles out of the way. As long as you are booked in and have valid insurance you'll be fine, even if snapped on a camera. You simply appeal saying you were on the way to a pre-booked MOT retest with the intention of taxing the vehicle after the car had passed. They'll check with the garage (also check the MOT database) and you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts