Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it has been short and bitter-sweet. Mot man requires a new pas pump and to sort the emissions, an egr and preheat unit. And wants 1800 notes. Anyone want a 54 plate 156jtdm? Fsh, leather, cruise, 120k, taxed and a week's test?.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, got my toys back in the pram a bit. Displeased at the garage billing me125 quid for a dailed test and 's bit of diagnostics' - taking the mickey. Going to clean the egr out this weekend myself and take it for mot elsewhere. I can get the pump for 100 off acs online so even if it needs that it will just be the 5 hours labour.

Any suggestions on emissions related things?

I'll let those interested know on price if I do flog it.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Well, got my toys back in the pram a bit. Displeased at the garage billing me125 quid for a dailed test and 's bit of diagnostics' - taking the mickey. Going to clean the egr out this weekend myself and take it for mot elsewhere. I can get the pump for 100 off acs online so even if it needs that it will just be the 5 hours labour.

Any suggestions on emissions related things?

I'll let those interested know on price if I do flog it.
Did you use the Main Dealer for the work ?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Well, it has been short and bitter-sweet. Mot man requires a new pas pump and to sort the emissions, an egr and preheat unit. And wants 1800 notes. Anyone want a 54 plate 156jtdm? Fsh, leather, cruise, 120k, taxed and a week's test?.

The EGR really has jack all to do with emissions on the MOT test ... and as for the preheat unit, well just get the car warmed up first then do the MOT surely?? ... can some explain why a PAS pump would be needed for the MOT???

If you do need a new EGR (which is doubtful considering you haven't had any sort of problems) just get a remap and get it disabled ... many many many cars have passed the MOT with a blocked off EGR ...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting read. I a rather concerned at what could cause the emissions fail as the diag said preheat and egr. The mcsf comes up if I let thd diesel run low but mpg is good, it runs well and starts well. Pas pump passed the mot last year and is slightly better than when I bought it. Hmm. Interesting....

G

·
0 Posts
PAS pump is NOT part of a MOT test...:tut: Unless it is dangerously fouling other essential items or leaking fluids in a manner to cause contamination of brake pads etc...
If it affects steering motion with "pulsing" on full lock then it can be sectioned under ineffective steering component action, usually an advisory notice only!

In other words, If it isn't squealing, pulsing or leaking please PM me the "name" of the examiner and VTS (vehicle testing station number), Time and date you went, Vehicle reg plateand How much it cost you in total for the test itself .....I would be very, very interested in talking to them... It's my job to weed out cretins like that:rolleyes:

Clean your EGR valve out, it won't hurt the process but a vehicle has to be at constant running temperature for at least 15 minutes before a clarity test can be undertaken So like has already been suggested get the car nice , warm and toasty before the MOT:thumbs:

Grahameo, your friendly VOSA DOT Examiner

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Grahameo nice to know people like u are around !!
im lucky i have a couple of test stations to go to that i trust

the testers who fail cars just for work are very naughty and need sorting out

Gary

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Never seen the words "your friendly VOSA DOT Examiner " used in one sentence before :lol:, but very sound advice Grahameo.........it really does sound like the tester was taking the proverbial......

K

·
0 Posts
garahameo.

can you clear something up that has occured to me though. with the new electronic mot testing process won't the failure flag up on the next garages computer if he tries to take another test elsewhere?

and another point if you may, now it has an mot failure against it doesn't that supercede the remaining mot test? so in effect the car has no mot and not the week that was left on the old certificate?

is it a sportwagon by chance? :rolleyes: could do you a swap for a 147jtd with almost a full mot :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
best way to be certain is use an MOT place that does only MOT's no repair work that way you can be sure they're not failing just to get extra work,
Well, the place is in the same bunch of units, tbh the costs are rediculous really regardless.

garahameo.

can you clear something up that has occured to me though. with the new electronic mot testing process won't the failure flag up on the next garages computer if he tries to take another test elsewhere?

and another point if you may, now it has an mot failure against it doesn't that supercede the remaining mot test? so in effect the car has no mot and not the week that was left on the old certificate

is it a sportwagon by chance? :rolleyes: could do you a swap for a 147jtd with almost a full mot :D
The fail sheet says the need repairing before the old cert runs out.

It's a saloon btw.

Having thought about this, it can't possibly cost nearly £2k to fix 2 faults. The PAS pump works fine at 1k revs and above, below that it doesn't but so what? It doesn't stop the car turning. The thing does have the actual turning circle of a small carrier group but I assume it is standard for the 156. There is defo a non-alfa pas pump from as and I know it is a pig of a job but you don't have to do the cambelt way, which is extra cst in parts.

Emissions wise, I have checked and the car is VERY slow to warm up. I crawled out of town for 15 mins before it got it's arse above 50 degrees. Running is normally just above 75 unless I boot it when it goes to a bit below 90. The Alfa guy reckons the pre.heat unit and egr are showing fault codes and suggested the MAP sensor....the one that was replaced 2 months back,..by him....

So, suggestions to fx my Alfa please!

G

·
0 Posts
grahameo.

and another point if you may, now it has an mot failure against it doesn't that supercede the remaining mot test? so in effect the car has no mot and not the week that was left on the old certificate?

Yes it will be flagged... But once the EGR has been cleaned and the engine is warm, the clarity test should pass anyway assuming there is nothing amiss.

Yes, you are correct, the OP can legitimately drive it to and from another test centre of his choice as long as it is pre-booked in advance.... The extra week of MOT is now null and void in the eyes of the law from a DOT/VOSA point of view unfortunately simply because the the vehicle is now classed as being in a unroadworthy condition...However the police can't enforce it without VOSA equiped checks in place.
That is something that can be hopefully rectified if I get the details quickly enough, although the OP isn't in my catchment area, I can pass the details on to a nice fellow who is and will very quickly pay a "nice little" visit to a this tester and find out what the hell he was thinking of???

Innocent until proven guilty of course but something like this, we take very, very seriously indeed with a a maximum of £10,000 fine to the company and individual plus permanent revocation of testing facility status.

To the OP, best advice I can give you is to do the work required, get it booked in to a local council testing station, they are totally independant, well trained and have no repair facilities to make a profit through and although you have to pay yet more fees, it will be worth it

G

·
0 Posts
Ah You posted just before me Remittance... Having read what you have posted, change your thermostat it will pay for itself very quickly.

It sounds like the cold start valve may be causing the excessive smoke simply because its not getting up to temperature (thermostat) before the clarity test takes place.

Bleed and replace the PAS fluid, it may rectify the fault... But certainly not worth nearly £2000 of repairs to rectify, try £100 at most

K

·
0 Posts
Yes it will be flagged... But once the EGR has been cleaned and the engine is warm, the clarity test should pass anyway assuming there is nothing amiss.

Yes, you are correct, the OP can legitimately drive it to and from another test centre of his choice as long as it is pre-booked in advance.... The extra week of MOT is now null and void in the eyes of the law unfortunately simply because the the vehicle is now classed as being in a unroadworthy condition....
That is something that can be hopefully rectified if I get the details quickly enough, although the OP isn't in my catchment area, I can pass the details on to a nice fellow who is and will very quickly pay a "nice little" visit to a this tester and find out what the hell he was thinking of???

Innocent until proven guilty of course but something like this, we take very, very seriously indeed with a a maximum of £10,000 fine to the company and individual plus permanent revocation of testing facility status.

To the OP, best advice I can give you is to do the work required, get it booked in to a local council testing station, they are totally independant, well trained and have no repair facilities to make a profit through and although you have to pay yet more fees, it will be worth it
why the bold :eek: have i done something wrong :lol: only kidding :thumbs:

great advice to take it to a council place.

i used to get my cars done at our local council place in boston. you may get jarred off that they wren't maybe as lenient as other places but you got the feeling that it wa a fair test, and as they wern't touting for the work you knew they had no vested interest in failing anythign that wasn't neccessary.

also while we're hijacking the OP's thread :rolleyes:

what's the definitive answer on next years' planned revisions to the testing of cats?

i've read in lots of trade mags about cats being made to be present on cars where they were fitted originally from new rather than just having to pass the emissions test now as if they had a cat, no neccessarily actually phsically having one on the car.
recently i've seen chat on here that that's not the case?

also how will it be enforced? for eg. what if there is the shell of a cat on the car but no innards? how can the mot tester be sure that the cat hasn't had its guts knocked out as i've seen on cars before?

G

·
0 Posts
Never seen the words "your friendly VOSA DOT Examiner " used in one sentence before :lol:, but very sound advice Grahameo.........it really does sound like the tester was taking the proverbial......
:cheese:Yeah we are not all apparent "lorry driver hating, wheel tapping bar stewards" as once I was called by an Irish LGV driver who had coincedently driven 17 hours straight with no breaks, de-limited at 75 mph and 15 Tonne overloaded on his rear axle and three bald tyres on the trailer with NO ABS... And he wondered why we pulled him while it took 2 miles travelling along side, nearly swerving into us while he was texting at the same time!:rolleyes:

I gave up the "wheel tapping" side and trained to be an MOT Examination Process Inspector, if titles of job descriptions go by what you do... But I do take pride in being fair, honest, open and try to be good at what I do:thumbs::D

K

·
0 Posts
:cheese:Yeah we are not all apparent "lorry driver hating, wheel tapping bar stewards" as once I was called by an Irish LGV driver who had coincedently driven 17 hours straight with no breaks, de-limited at 75 mph and 15 Tonne overloaded on his rear axle and three bald tyres on the trailer with NO ABS... And he wondered why we pulled him while it took 2 miles travelling along side, nearly swerving into us while he was texting at the same time!:rolleyes:

I gave up the "wheel tapping" side and trained to be an MOT Examination Process Inspector, if titles of job descriptions go by what you do... But I do take pride in being fair, honest, open and try to be good at what I do:thumbs::D
would really love to get involved with a job like that :cool:

need to do something different, any ideas where to start off training?

G

·
0 Posts
why the bold :eek: have i done something wrong :lol: only kidding :thumbs:

great advice to take it to a council place.

i used to get my cars done at our local council place in boston. you may get jarred off that they wren't maybe as lenient as other places but you got the feeling that it wa a fair test, and as they wern't touting for the work you knew they had no vested interest in failing anythign that wasn't neccessary.

also while we're hijacking the OP's thread :rolleyes:

what's the definitive answer on next years' planned revisions to the testing of cats?

i've read in lots of trade mags about cats being made to be present on cars where they were fitted originally from new rather than just having to pass the emissions test now as if they had a cat, no neccessarily actually phsically having one on the car.
recently i've seen chat on here that that's not the case?

also how will it be enforced? for eg. what if there is the shell of a cat on the car but no innards? how can the mot tester be sure that the cat hasn't had its guts knocked out as i've seen on cars before?
The long answer is: Far to complicated to answer with any clarity... We have been told as much as, it's practically un-enforcable... EU directive bullying tactics again:rolleyes:
Short answer is:
For the foreseable future, the old routine of "if it's fitted, it must work" & within working tolerances will suffice.

Try not to panic to much about cats too much just yet... The powers that be still haven't decided on anything concrete...
If it was me testing... How could I tell if it was an empty CAT shell???;) A tester can't be sure, as long as emissions are correct and within tolerances

Maybe this phone conversation that I overheard on speaker phone last week my VI Boss took may put things in perspective:

Irate MOT examiner: "I have a car in that i'm sure used to have two CATS fitted, they have been replaced by stainless steel straight through jobby's?"

My Boss: And?....".Does it pass the emissions and is it a good job done?"

Irate MOT examiner: "Well... erm ..... Yeah!"

My Boss: "Well what have you got to worry about then?"

Simply contact VOSA Vacancies

They take all comers from mechanical/ engineering background NVQ3 and above.
I started in the British Army, vehicle technician, HGV fitter, mot tester, vosa officer and progressed from there;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts