Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I bought my GT a few months ago from a local 'general' used car dealer, they fitted a new LH front upper wishbone to get it though its MoT.

Within less than 2000 miles this started to become noisy with the occasional squeak over large bumps. It is now at around 5000 miles and is now so bad that I decided to replace it at the weekend with a TRW part from Alfa Workshop.

When I removed the old part it was squeaking like a good 'un as I moved it up and down and there was considerable play in both inner bushes. The arm was marked with the brand FAI - if you are tempted to buy this make then my advice would be to steer well clear.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I soon learnt that cheap parts on the alfa do not last especially wish bones, i've just changed an upper one with a TRW part which are genuine Alfa parts but with the Alfa logo and part number ground off

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I wonder if the FIA ones were properly lubed before fitting?

·
Banned
857 Posts
I wonder if the FIA ones were properly lubed before fitting?
Exactly.

TRW and Lemforder (aka 'genuine Alfa parts but with the Alfa logo and part number ground off') squeaked like gooduns and wore out at 20k miles by all accounts until they started supplying them lubricated.

Dry wishbones genuine or otherwise will squeak and wear out faster.

Plenty of threads on this subject denouncing the myth that cheap = rubbish. No need for another.

·
Banned
857 Posts
I recently had the timing belt and water pump changed on my wife's Peugeot 206 HDi. The pump change was 'as a precaution' but as it turned out the original (Peugeot) pump had started to leak at the bearing. The replacement pump used was an FAI one and it had a metal impeller and and a generally better finish than the genuine Peugot one that came off the car which was plastic.

Oh, and the FAI one was the cheapest pump my local factor had and cheaper than any internet supplier by far.

But then, cheap = crap, eh!?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts