Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
45,975 Posts
When I was a nipper, my brother-in-law had a Talbot Sumbeam. Pretty certain it wasn't a Lotus one but he did it up to rally spec (aesthetically at least). He stripped and re-painted it personally, on the driveway, in brilliant white, and - masking by hand - applied a Talbot insignia on the bonnet. It was done to an amazing standard, and looked excellent. Very talented guy.

He was very in to his rallying, so I had always assumed it was a direct replica of something famous, but a quick google doesn't find anything.

Actually, trying again before I click post I find this:

Which is a similar idea. I genuinely can't remember whether he had the blue stripe. I don't think he had the work Talbot on the bonnet, and I think the insignia was bigger.

I do remember he took the rear seats out, because I used to have to lie on the floor when given a lift.

·
Registered
15,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
When I was a nipper, my brother-in-law had a Talbot Sumbeam. Pretty certain it wasn't a Lotus one but he did it up to rally spec (aesthetically at least). He stripped and re-painted it personally, on the driveway, in brilliant white, and - masking by hand - applied a Talbot insignia on the bonnet. It was done to an amazing standard, and looked excellent. Very talented guy.

He was very in to his rallying, so I had always assumed it was a direct replica of something famous, but a quick google doesn't find anything.

Actually, trying again before I click post I find this:
View attachment 939003

Which is a similar idea. I genuinely can't remember whether he had the blue stripe. I don't think he had the work Talbot on the bonnet, and I think the insignia was bigger.

I do remember he took the rear seats out, because I used to have to lie on the floor when given a lift.
Henri did quite well in a blue and white Lotus Sunbeam back in the day.

Attachments

·
Administrator
45,975 Posts
I think that was probably the basis of it. I was trying to find one with the massive brand emblem, but looks like he largely thought that up himself.

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
545 Posts
I owned three Fiat Uno turbos during the second half of the 1980s. I always liked the relatively discreet factory decals and the way that they visually 'connected' the top edges of the front and rear bumpers...

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,148 Posts
Reactions: keithyboy
41 - 46 of 46 Posts