Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Looks very nice, though they have gone a bit overboard with the carbon fibre effect on the centre console; in years to come that'll look as dated as plastic trim painted to look like fake wood...

·
Registered
33,664 Posts
At last , they’ve redesigned the shifter with the front rounded off instead of having that parting-line on the current one.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Some of the leaked MY2020 photos have not yet been posted here. It is mainly Stelvio; which will also be lowered for MY2020.

New infotainment preview:

Cannot see any of the pictures or the info. Any other links?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Looks very nice, though they have gone a bit overboard with the carbon fibre effect on the centre console; in years to come that'll look as dated as plastic trim painted to look like fake wood...
Yeah will never understand the mania for the shiny plasticky bits - to my eyes, it's as cheap as it gets, reminds me of these boy-racer style head units people put in Civics and Bravos in the 1990s.

A few days ago I was watching a review of the new Audi RS5, where they obviously compared it to the Quad for reference...and one of the things the journalist remarked was the "quality" of the plastics in the Audi being "superb", pointing to a shiny black console trim that looked like it came from a 1 Euro made-in-China toy :irked:

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Just read that Cue2. If it indeed happens and they "beef" up the Giorgio platform depending on what that involves, it may mean we could lose some of the lightness of the chassis and agility we have currently if they continue to build the Giulia and Stelvio on it of course. Ultimately we are all guessing and knowing how slow Alfa are we may as well enjoy what is on offer now.

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
I thought they were ditching the black plastic wheel arch mouldings on the Stelvio ?

Overall, its a pathetic underwhelming effort. They took Giulia from design to production ready in 2 years, but in 4 years they fit a new bit of plastic to the transmission tunnel, add some tat to the steering wheel, and a new gear knob. I could have done that in a day outside Halfords. Manley says Giorgio hasn't performed well. He's wrong. Its the total and complete ineptitude of Alfa Romeo's management that has performed dismally. Slashing dealers, refusing genuine warranty claims, terrible marketing and in company politics (remember Ferrari's problems, both race and road car, in the 80's and 90's ? Evident once again in todays race team) Alfa Romeo has peaked. In 5 years time you will be listening to twits in pubs boasting about their brilliant new Alfa Sud, which is actually a Peugeot 208 with a different grille. R.I.P.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
In 5 years time you will be listening to twits in pubs boasting about their brilliant new Alfa Sud, which is actually a Peugeot 208 with a different grille. R.I.P.
Heh, I do hope not, and Alfa's demise has been predicted many times since the 1970s, but knowing how Peugeot treated the mighty Citroen, most likely it'll be a cheap remake of the 208 with an ugly grille and seats made out of old socks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
So does this mean that anyone who has or is waiting for a MY2019 Giulia should not worry as the changes are minimal. I can see a few owners upgrading their display and head unit to MY2020 in the future to get the latest features.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The biggest changes are indeed Infotainment and ADAS, interior changes are minimal.

But Hugh Myles is right when he says that it is a pathetic underwhelming effort if you consider that in 2 years time they've made Giulia basically from scratch and then in 3-4 years time this is all they have to show for.

Even with the new Infotainemnt (which seems to be a big step up), their equipment levels, features and tech is still stuck in 2016. They are still missing important features that competition introduced years ago.
No one is expecting Alfa to be class leader in features and tech; but if they want to stay relevant they have to at least be able to catch up in 3-4 years, but they failed miserably to do so.

If this is their best answer to massive sales decline, the future is very dimm.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
While I am not bothered by either the infotainment or the new tech, the competition have stepped up their game quite a bit. Even lesser cars like Hyundai, Ford etc. have. In the same segment, the Jag XE for example now looks meaner with the LED headlights, interior has been substantially updated new instrument cluster, infotainment, displays and new tech. I can do more using aftermarket accessories than Alfa have done. I don't get it. Like Hugh said earlier, it is not the Giorgio platform but the disjointed dealership experience, the way warranty claims are being dealt with and the general lack of marketing that is dragging the platform down. There is no excuse for incompetence and omnishambles.

61 - 80 of 262 Posts