Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
The Giorgio platform was designed to take electrification to future proof it so it would seem strange to write it off so early in it's life cycle. The loss of Sergio is huge as he fully understood the value in the brand being Italian. We can only hope that Carlos Tavares sees more potential for the Italian brands than Manley appears to.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/01/alfa-romeo-gtv-8c-canceled/

·
Registered
883 Posts
Regardless of which info is true, Manley seems to be a d*ck, I hope they throw him off his chair ASAP. Gorgio platfom is by far the best thing Alfa produced in the last 4 decades - if they do not see the value of that and are willing to give up already after 3 years of trying, then they better sell off the Alfa brand by this monday.

@smarty156: I am pretty sure I would hear some. :) Try driving around without any radio/music on a rough road and listen carefully, and then report back.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
https://www.alessioporcu.it/articoli/fca-manley-fine-ciclo-piattaforma-giorgio-alfa-romeo-giulia-stelvio/

The managing director Fca Mike Manley during the cnference call on the quarterly announces the end of the Giorgio platform. It is the base on which Giulia, Stelvio and Giulietta are born. The models "have not brought the desired results"

Giorgio's days are numbered. He has had his day. Today it looks great and is among the most reliable. But for her there is no future: it will be used until the end of her cycle and then the best alternative among those already available will be chosen. Giorgio is the platform on which all the cars produced today in the Fca Cassino Plant are built . All Alfa Romeo Giulia , Stelvio and Giulietta models are born from the Giorgio platform. The fate of the company was announced by FCA CEO Mike Manley during the conference call on the third quarter accounts.

Who is Giorgio

Giulia, born on the Giorgio platform
The end of Giorgio does not mean the end of Cassino Plant. But the end of an era does. To understand it, one must think that the platforms in the Automotive sector are what were once the platforms : a base on which to build the product.

With one difference: only one car model could be built on the floor. The platforms like George are a kind of Lego bricks on which you can build more models, very different from each other: Stelvio is an SUV, Giulia is a sports sedan, Juliet is a sedan, and all are born from the base Giorgio.

What happens immediately at Cassino Plant
The merger between Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Psa Peugeot will bring about a revolution that will be completed within four years. And the French have two platforms that are very suitable for the development of hybrid and electric models. It is possible that " the best alternative among those already available " to replace Giorgio is one of the French structures. (read here The great changes on the horizon with the Fca - Psa Peugeot merger ).

In the first phase, however, progress is made in the footsteps of projects already outlined. During the call Mike Manley pointed out that Alfa Romeo has not achieved the desired results . On the dock there are the premium models produced at Cassino Plant .

The Cassino Plant production line
The Group has decided to reduce its investments, cut a part of the plans: " I am not happy with the performance of Alfa Romeo but I remain convinced of its strength " said Manly.

The consequence. Alfa Romeo reviews the plans, redesigns the strategies. Via le sportive : delete from the projects the return of the legendary GTV - Gran Turismo Veloce and the highly sporty 8C . Stelvio's elder brother is also away, the E-band suv hoped it could be the new model for Cassino from 2022.

The restyling of Giulia and Stelvio equipped with new ecological engines capable of intercepting bonuses are confirmed for 2020 ; their production will remain in the group's premium plant , Cassino Plant . (read here Kimi Raikkonen to launch the restyling of Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio )

The compact SUV, developed on the Tonale concept, was also confirmed ; the rumors continue to say that the production lines will be in Pomigliano d'Arco , the 'twin' factory in Piedimonte San Germano .

·
Registered
33,124 Posts
“ All Alfa Romeo Giulia , Stelvio and Giulietta models are born from the Giorgio platform”

Well is that wrong for a start.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Presumably they are referring to the ditched plan to build the replacement Giulietta on the Giorgio platform.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and suggest that Giorgio is an expensive platform, given the level of engineering innovation and weight saving components involved. Originally its break even point would have been based on building the saloon, Suv, large Suv, large saloon, Giulietta, GTV, 8C and possibly even an estate. But now, given diesels declines, hybrid/electric demand, and Suv's continued importance, the ground has shifted. FCA's american product, especially Jeep, is ripe for Giorgio, and makes absolute financial sense to use thus, unless it is too expensive. And rumours suggest it is not suitable for hybrids. A dead end ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actually, what I understand, Manley said:
"The Giorgio rear-wheel-drive platform has done a good job underpinning the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio. It was designed to sustain electrification and the complexity of future infotainment systems. As one of the few rear-drive platforms, there is a good chance it will continue."

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Depends on the meaning of electrification. They are currently working on a 48v electric turbo, like that on the new Audi S4, for Giorgio, launch due late next year, but not a hybrid/full electric. If Giorgio can't do a hybrid/electric, at reasonable cost, its dead in the water.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Regardless of which info is true, Manley seems to be a d*ck, I hope they throw him off his chair ASAP. Gorgio platfom is by far the best thing Alfa produced in the last 4 decades - if they do not see the value of that and are willing to give up already after 3 years of trying, then they better sell off the Alfa brand by this monday.

@smarty156: I am pretty sure I would hear some. :) Try driving around without any radio/music on a rough road and listen carefully, and then report back.
I frequently drive with no radio/music (why wouldn't you want to hear that engine?) and the roads round here are generally pretty poor. I can assure you, there are zero rattles or creaks.
Happy to take you for a spin if you don't believe me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depends on the meaning of electrification. They are currently working on a 48v electric turbo, like that on the new Audi S4, for Giorgio, launch due late next year, but not a hybrid/full electric. If Giorgio can't do a hybrid/electric, at reasonable cost, its dead in the water.
True! My question was more out of curiosity where the information came from that Giorgio wasn't up for (full) electrification? Haven't read that.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Yes, what rattles?????
Mine is nearly 3 years old. Except for some buzzing from inside the door cards when the HK audio is cranked up, and a couple of initial creaks which were sorted, I have no rattles as such. The 69 plate super courtesy car I had recently was creaking a bit on top of the instrument binnacle and also the dash when moving. The 2.0 200hp engine felt a bit low on power compared to mine which suggests the newer WLTP engines are a bit different. It also had some drone around 1.5k rpm on the standard single exit exhaust. The engine sounded rougher at low rpms.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Mine is nearly 3 years old. Except for some buzzing from inside the door cards when the HK audio is cranked up, and a couple of initial creaks which were sorted, I have no rattles as such. The 69 plate super courtesy car I had recently was creaking a bit on top of the instrument binnacle and also the dash when moving. The 2.0 200hp engine felt a bit low on power compared to mine which suggests the newer WLTP engines are a bit different. It also had some drone around 1.5k rpm on the standard single exit exhaust. The engine sounded rougher at low rpms.
MG, we early adopters of Giulia got ourselves the best of the Super's.

PS have you tried changing your taste in music:cheeky:

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
https://www.alessioporcu.it/articoli/giulia-stelvio-alfa-romeo-conferma-restyling-2020-cavaggioni-raikkonen/

To Alberto Cavaggioni he wanted to be a pilot, but by his own admission he soon realized that he would not become one. He didn't give up. He continued in his dream, a dream marked by Alfa Romeo's Biscione to become its Head of Emea that is the commander in chief in the European market

Today Alberto Cavaggioni spoke in the name and on behalf of that brand that he loves so much and of which he is now one of the top managers. He did it with the frankness of those who are aware of their abilities, but he also acknowledged that he would never become a pilot. His words resounded throughout the world of the specialized press, bringing back to the fore in the research of enthusiasts and experts Giulia and Stelvio , the two Alfa jewels produced at the Cassino Plant that are not experiencing a good period. But on which FCA will continue to focus, not giving up the dream of an Alfa that can become premium among the premiums . (read hereNo braking: here's how to read the Alfa Romeo numbers in August ).

The two cars produced in Cassino, defined by Cavaggioni two exceptional products , in the tail of the year will see the light, or rather will be presented to the public, in the two versions renewed by the first restyling of their life . It will be called Restyling 2020.

It was known for a while but as usual when an official confirmation comes from FCA it is always more than news. (read here the anticipation on Alessioporcu.it : Lines, full led, hybdrid: here is Stelvio and Giulia restyling 2020 ). Cavaggioni confirmed that the two cars will be shown for the first time during the month of November before arriving on the market soon after. In all probability the location where the presentation will take place will be the Los Angeles auto show .

Shortly thereafter, which is the time frame in which the two cars will be available on the market, it is rather cryptic. We have become accustomed to precise times: presentation at the end of the year, on the market by March.

But what will change in these two cars? Headlights in full led format , new generation autonomous driving system , wider dashboard , more infotainment services , a line with some changes but of little weight. the big news instead concerns, above all the new hybrid engines : they will be available at the end of next year.

And if Cavaggioni did not speak directly about the engines of Stelvio and Giulia, he indirectly gave an answer to the question that everyone asked themselves. That is, if a plug-in hybrid version was provided , the one that plugs into the power plug.

The answer came when talking about the C-SUV, the one that in the concept should be the Tonale , which as Cavaggioni stated will be the first plug-in model of the Alfa Romeo company .

Consequently, the presence of a mild hybrid system for the electrified Giulia and Stelvio variants that will debut in 2020 is now certain . There will be a mild-hybrid 48 Volt powertrain system alongside the traditional 4-cylinder Diesel turbo (2.2), petrol (2.0) and gritty Quadrifoglio 2.9 with 6 V-cylinders. The action of the mild-hybrid powertrain is a light but powerful solution on petrol engines. With electrically activated turbine to compensate for weight gain. Neither Stelvio nor Giulia 2020 will therefore be cars with the recharging electric socket. The first ever will be the Tonale. But it will be discussed again in the second part of 2021.

Accompanying the launch of the two restylings produced in Cassino is a five- part miniseries featuring Kimi Raikkonen and his wife Minntu. What remains today is that Giulia and Stelvio at least for a year will continue to be the ones we have known so far. With all the doubts, the broken promises and the certainties that these two vehicles brought between the Cassino Plant lines.

To me, the indication would be that if Giorgio was suitable for hybrid/electric they would at least be working on it, which clearly they are not. But it does not matter what anyone feels on here, Manley is the guy calling the shots, and I think I have to agree with lizards sentiments, but with less colourful language. Manley is no friend of Giorgio, and no friend of Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
MG, we early adopters of Giulia got ourselves the best of the Super's.

PS have you tried changing your taste in music:cheeky:
After years of heavy metal, I have downgraded to rock and the occasional jazz or country. Now I understand why the radio keeps switching back to Classic FM everytime I get in the car! ;)

Yes the early 2.0 supers had the best engine. 230hp as standard, tunable to 320hp, no SGW. Definitely better than the newer engines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
https://www.alessioporcu.it/articoli/giulia-stelvio-alfa-romeo-conferma-restyling-2020-cavaggioni-raikkonen/

To me, the indication would be that if Giorgio was suitable for hybrid/electric they would at least be working on it, which clearly they are not. But it does not matter what anyone feels on here, Manley is the guy calling the shots, and I think I have to agree with lizards sentiments, but with less colourful language. Manley is no friend of Giorgio, and no friend of Alfa Romeo.
The fact that they are axing both "halo products" (the 8c and the GTV) only a year after Marchionne presented the updated business plan for Alfa indicates that Manley probably has a different view on Alfa Romeo and its future; if it sells cars, great. But he won't spend too much money on it.

Re the Giorgio platform; I'm not convinced that it is not suitable for electrification - I think Manley simply has pulled all brakes possible in regards to development cost.

Maybe he is the devil in disguise? There must be some reason for that beard...:evil:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Some of the leaked MY2020 photos have not yet been posted here. It is mainly Stelvio; which will also be lowered for MY2020.

New infotainment preview:

·
Registered
33,124 Posts
Lowered? I hope it works better than an Audi Q7 local to us. It looks like a confused A6 avant for some reason.
Still a Lower Stevio may be the Giulia SW some people were looking for.
The black plastic arches etc are going to be painted bodycolour according to a ppt that was on here.

41 - 60 of 256 Posts