Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I bought a 2004 facelift 166 in January and I'm loving it (this is my third 166 since 2002, so I'm a bit hooked!).

This particular vehicle came to me for small money as what's known as a "trade car" here in Ireland. This means I bought it as seen and with zero warranty. I was happy to do so after an inspection revealed it was A1 with an NCT (like MOT in UK) until Aug 2014.

However........

I am concerned about the service history (non-existent!) and while it has 98k miles on the clock and there is "Tip-Ex" writing on the cam belt cover stating that it was changed at 78k miles, I'm unsure if this is true and I've decided to get it done for peace of mind.

So, my question is: does the water pump run off the timing belt system in the 2.0 twinnie?
I know the kits include belt, pulley, tensioner etc. but not water pump. But I always recall the water pump being part of the shocking bill from Alfa dealers with my previous (newer) 166's and therefore I am confused as to why the water pump is not part of the various "kits" offered by sellers on FleaBay and on various motoring parts supplier web sites.

The car has that initial "diesel" sound at start-up so I also need to consider fitting a new variator during the timing belt change, but my main worry is to do with the water pump.

I'm sourcing the parts myself to get them fitted by my local friendly Polish mechanic who is not hard on money, so I need to know what I need as he doesn't seem to know/care!

Any/all advise most welcome.

Thanks as always.

Dave ;)

·
Registered
497 Posts
The water pump is not an expensive part but may impact the timing mechanism function. So it's replacement is useful.
Another thing that is good to be considered is the balance shaft belt. The balance system is not very important itself, but a broken balance belt usually impacts the timing belt. I recommend the balance shaft system replacement (belt and pulleys) to be done with the timing belt change.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The water pump is not an expensive part but may impact the timing mechanism function. So it's replacement is useful.
Another thing that is good to be considered is the balance shaft belt. The balance system is not very important itself, but a broken balance belt usually impacts the timing belt. I recommend the balance shaft system replacement (belt and pulleys) to be done with the timing belt change.
Wise words !

The water pump labour charge will only be minimal if done with the belts aforementioned,as all the bits to be removed will already be off.

It all tots up a bit,but better safe than sorry:eek:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies and advice guys.
I was confused as suppliers seem to only bundle the water pump in a timing belt "kit" when it's for the 2.5, 3.0 or 3.2 V6 engine. But, for the 2.0 T-Spark I never see the water pump included in any deals/offers claiming to be timing belt kits.

I suppose, my real question is, if the water pump fails on a 2.0 twinspark engine, is it bye bye timing belt?

Also, I have heard talk of plastic or metal impellers in the water pump. Does anyone recommend a manufacturer of these pumps who uses the metal impellers?

Cheers.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
the metal/plastic issue is only for the v6's - the twinks waterpumps are pretty robust but if you're keeping the car for a fair while then since you're up to 98k on the original you might as well pop a new one on...only about 25 quid and easy to do as part of the belt change - only extra would be the coolant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts