Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was hoping someone could give me some guidance for installing and alpine CDE-174BT in my facelift 147.

I have bought the DS-AR003.2 stereo harness from dynamic sounds, and it came with a free Alpine patch lead CTALPINELEAD.

I have tested the connections with a multimeter and found that I had to swap the yellow with the red wire.

The problem I have is that the steering control is not working. I have followed the sequence in the diagram for the installation of the patch lead, and connected the black little box to the car last in sequence. but still no luck.

One interesting thing I noticed on the patch lead wires that connect onto the green mini iso connector, is that the wires are (blue - position C10) antenna, rear speaker (green - position C12) and ground (black - position C11). Does that make sense?

Any thoughts as to why this might be, or what do I need to look for would much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
I have tested the connections with a multimeter and found that I had to swap the yellow with the red wire.
Ensure that the Alfa 'Ub' wire (main powerwire, 'always live' +12V) lines up with the yellow wires in the CT/DSAR003.2. This in turn feeds to the Alpine yellow powerwire via the ISO plugs at the other end, and to the black box.

There shouldn't be a red wire in the CTSAR003.2 that goes from the Alfa plugs to either the black box or the ISO plugs at the other end. If there is, you've probably been sent the CT/DSAR001?

But there should be a red wire from the black box to the ISO plugs connecting to the Alpine wiring harness.

If yours (particularly noting the yellow and red wires) is like this, then it's a CTSAR001.
http://imgur.com/a/pmd6a#0

One interesting thing I noticed on the patch lead wires that connect onto the green mini iso connector, is that the wires are (blue - position C10) antenna, rear speaker (green - position C12) and ground (black - position C11). Does that make sense?

Any thoughts as to why this might be, or what do I need to look for would much appreciated.
The wiring colours are not generic, meaning they are peculiar to the interface, so the blue wire does not mean it's for the antenna, etc.

However, I do notice that the order of 'your' wires is different to the ones in the link I just posted. The black wire should indeed be the groundwire, and therefore should be in the middle, in position C12. As such, it would seem that the wires are stuffed up (read: incorrect!) in yours! That's obviously a bad quality control issue!!!

You probably need to swap the black and green wires around.

:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shiny Car

thanks very much for your response.

The reason I called the blue wire as antenna is because there is a little print on it that says so, so as you say, someone probably just used a generic wire for the connection.

Also, very interesting point about the red and yellow wires.

I will investigate and let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, had a closer look and it appears that the harness has the red and yellow wires swapped already, so I should not have swapped them on the alpine lead. Now swapped back.

I can also confirm that the harness does not have a red wire at the alfa plug end. So probably it is the correct one.

I managed to swap the green and black wires, but still no luck with the steering control :(

one thing I noticed though, when I disconnect all the wires and put all the connections back together, switch the ignition on, the stereo comes on automatically for the first time???

Cheers

·
7,713 Posts
Aside from the steering wheel controls, is the new Alpine headunit working properly? Does it turn on/off with the ignition key as expected? Do all the functions work, and sound coming through the speakers as expected? I just want confirmation that all the power wiring is correct and the CANBUS is functioning properly, etc. As opposed to nothing on the Alpine working.

one thing I noticed though, when I disconnect all the wires and put all the connections back together, switch the ignition on, the stereo comes on automatically for the first time???
If you're talking about the factory headunit, then that seems normal to me. Was it not like that before?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for long absence.

The factory alfa stereo functioned fine including steering control.

In the Alpine unit everything is working as it should. But the steering control is not working.

A real headscratcher

·
7,713 Posts
There's every chance it is faulty, so you may wish to pursue a replacement. It should simply be plug and play.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was hoping it was going to be plug n play, especially having read your excellent guide (which I used for the stereo in my 156 ;) ).

Will give the seller a buzz

Thank you for your help. I will post any
progress

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok,

I called Dynamic Sounds tech support, and it appears that some one packed the wrong patch lead. The pictured lead has 3 black connections which makes it a pioneer lead. By removing the middle one in red circle it becomes an Alpine lead!

so I pulled it out, and all works ok now. Note however that I had already done the swap you noticed, black with green wires on the adaptor lead.

So thank you v much again for your help. Problem solved :thumbs:

Attachments

·
7,713 Posts
Good one!

Interesting, the difference between Pioneer vs Alpine leads. That's something of note; Connects2 don't specifically list an Alpine lead any more, but previously did. So it's good to know a Pioneer lead can be used, with the minor mod.

Did you mention the black and green wire issue?!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Live and learn right?

I forgot actually to mention the green \ black wire. he did not mention it either, so it may have been a one-ff thing? Just makes it that extra bit special :)

Interestingly, more I think the facia surround is wrong. The horizontal part of it is weider than it should be, so the stereo will not slide all the way into the housing. It looks like I need to get the rotary tool out and do some trimming!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts