Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if post facelift 156 dials and clocks actually fit on a pre-facelift 156?.... Will they go straight in as direct replacement or do they need modifying?

The red on white dials look pretty cool IMO.... I'm not interested in replacing all the centre console and climate controls, just the dials.

I suppose that some orange illumination rings from the S1 veloce climate control box can be re-done in red (permanent marker works great for this BTW)
So therefore it can all match up assuming the clocks can be swapped).

It might make an interesting mod:cool:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah? My mistake... They look white but so do mine (lusso type with green illumination):lol:

Well I suppose ther is only one way to find out if they fit.... Speak nicely to my Brother in law (2003 2.4JTD facelift interior) and and ask if I can remove his:cheese:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yeah? My mistake... They look white but so do mine (lusso type with green illumination):lol:

Well I suppose ther is only one way to find out if they fit.... Speak nicely to my Brother in law (2003 2.4JTD facelift interior) and and ask if I can remove his:cheese:
good luck. i know what i would say if i were your brother.
I wont say because i will probably get banned.
if you want to see what they look like i have put a link up to a pic of my interior on my last post.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol... Well he does owe me a few favours as I keep his Alfa running nicely:lol:
Thanks for the pics BTW... I think I'll do some measuring first though ( the gaps) He won't be so nervous then :lol: ;)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I thought the face lift clocks used a completely different electrical system from the pre face lift :confused:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I thought the face lift clocks used a completely different electrical system from the pre face lift :confused:
Yep, the electronics behind them are different (as the facelift guages also drive inputs to the infocentre etc), so if you're going to replace them you'll need to take apart the unit and change the individual dials ...

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I nearly bought a 2nd hand set of GTA dials until I realised that it would be a major job to change them.

Just changing the gauge faces over should be possible which would give you the same results. Also Birba do white faced gauge kits with red graphics and night lighting

And also the rev counter would probably be specific to the number of cylinders so 4,5 or 6 cylinder cant be mixed

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
And also the rev counter would probably be specific to the number of cylinders so 4,5 or 6 cylinder cant be mixed
The input to the rev counter is a frequency signal from the ECU, it is definatley different between JTDs and petrols (because of the different rev range), however I would have thought that the petrols would be the same (given they have the same rev range) ... although as before it is probably just easier to change the faces ...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm... Indeed. I figured it out once I took John's (my bro in law) clocks out. The good news is that the dial faces are pretty much straight forward to swap albeit a bit fiddly. Even better news is the centre console dials, they are a straight swap atleast.
Now all I need is some face lift clocks to play about with.. Cheap... Ebay is pretty sparse but some will come along eventually... Thanks for the input guys :thumbs:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts