Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
last week my M32 gearbox in 159 broke bearings. And Fixing it will cost me a lot of money. I'm considering to swap F40 to my 1.9 JTDM 16V engine. I know it's difficult. But I will try. But First I need information. I'm asking time to time what should I need. But after some info I have more questions. I want to open this thread to help anyone consider to swap F40 to M32

1) I know that F40 from Alfa 159 2.4lt cannot be used, because of the diff position. Eveyone suggest F40 from saab or Opel Vectra/Signum.
2) What about from different car Like astra or insignia? Do we have any list of F40 serial numbers that we can fit.
3) Axles from 2.0 JTDM should done the job. Maybe 5mm long or short.
4) Mounts are from 2.0 or 2.4 JTDM can be used with little touches.
5) Clutch kit can be used custom. but should get it from Opel or Saab parts.
6) FlyWheel is from Vectra again.
7) Gearlink cables can be used from 2.0 JTDM.
8) What else ?

Some questions :
1) I have found this gearbox yesterday. Should I go for it?
2) What is the gear ratios of F40 and M32? Does F40 has shorter gears or longer ?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe Saab TID or TTID FlyWheel can be used, if needed :

TTiD (DTR in Saab) clutch kit and flywheel.
Clutch kit P/N 32076465 (LUK P/N: 624 3309 09)
Dual Mass Flywheeel P/N 32076468 (LUK P/N: 415 0407 10)

·
Registered
5 Posts
i will be make same swap from m32 to f40 with valeo clutch SMF kit and kevlar plate. is nesesary to change: 7) Gearlink cables can be used from 2.0 JTDM?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think its a vise idea to put SMF, because the DMF is designed to save gearbox and other places. I don't think SMF will be good option to go for daily drive. If you want to

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think its a vise idea to put SMF, because the DMF is designed to save gearbox and other places. I don't think SMF will be good option to go for daily drive. If you want to
its for strong tuning, GTB2260, so somtimes will be need to change garbox :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This is the gearbox in the first post.
Manual Gearbox CHEVROLET CRUZE (J300) 2.0 CDI.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Emre, I'd like to be able to help you but unfortunately I don't know very much about F40 gearboxes or Alfa Romeo's to know what fits what. I'll tell you what I do know which may help you. The Alfa romeo M32 has a different diff casing for the subframe mount. This would mean any F40 from a Vauxhall/Opel etc. wouldn't match up without some sort of modification to the mounts. The Vectra 1.9 and Insignia 2.0 were fitted with both the M32 & F40 The 1.9 & 2.0 M32 versions have different ratios but both have the same bolt pattern The Alfa Romeo 1.9 engine is the same that is fitted in the Vauxhall/Opel, Fiat and Saab variants. This means any 1.9 F40 box from these will bolt onto your engine. The ratios in the Vauxhall 1.9 M32's are the same as the Alfa 159 1.9 M32's. I'm unsure about the Fiat's but I would imagine they are the same also. The Saab's were never fitted with the M32 gearbox

Information is from m32guy

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is possible to fit F40 from Alfa 159 2.4JTDm to 1.9JTDm 16v, I have seen that conversion on one 159 here in Serbia. As far as I remember, guy who did that told me that it was very hard to physically put F40 gearbox into position, and he had to grind some part of gearbox, so it would fit OK. Also, axles had to be changed, but I don't know for which ones. He had zero issues after the swap.

Fun fact is that that guy even replaced that F40 later on, only to fit another F40 and entire Q4 drivetrain. That also required some customization. So, now he drives a very rare 159 1.9 16v Q4.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is possible to fit F40 from Alfa 159 2.4JTDm to 1.9JTDm 16v, I have seen that conversion on one 159 here in Serbia. As far as I remember, guy who did that told me that it was very hard to physically put F40 gearbox into position, and he had to grind some part of gearbox, so it would fit OK. Also, axles had to be changed, but I don't know for which ones. He had zero issues after the swap.

Fun fact is that that guy even replaced that F40 later on, only to fit another F40 and entire Q4 drivetrain. That also required some customization. So, now he drives a very rare 159 1.9 16v Q4.
All I know about F40 from Alfa has a different DIFF location. And it makes it hard to fit. But I don't know the rest. we know that axles are problem also. But not a big deal. If the gearbox fix to the engine. Rest is easy.

·
Registered
83 Posts

2.4 JTDm gearbox will fit to engine without any customization or extra work. My first gearbox from Vectra C had issue with second gear, so I bought low mileage 2.4 JTDm one. It bolted on to engine without a problem until I tried to fit axle. Short one - no problem. Long one - out of it's position by ~2cm (higher). So you can't bolt axle carrier to oil sump without modification.
Vectra C or Signum gearbox will fit, only lower mount has to be modified a little bit.

BTW, how he managed to fit rear diff to FWD chassis? Rear section is different

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
t bolted on to engine without a problem until I tried to fit axle. Short one - no problem. Long one - out of it's position by ~2cm (higher).
For this one I understand that bearing on long shaft is sit 2cm higher in F40 from Alfa right?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Entire rear subframe had to be changed, but everything was mostly bolt on. He bought 159 2.4 Q4 donor car... He told me that the "only issue" was that with everything fitted gearbox possition was not matching 1.9JTDm 16v, as it was designed for 2.4 block length. So he moved the engine, and fabricated all the parts (extended engine mounts, everything else had sufficient length, hoses, etc.). Exhaust pipes also had to be made from scratch, sections after the turbo, under the engine...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Entire rear subframe had to be changed, but everything was mostly bolt on. He bought 159 2.4 Q4 donor car... He told me that the "only issue" was that with everything fitted gearbox possition was not matching 1.9JTDm 16v, as it was designed for 2.4 block length. So he moved the engine, and fabricated all the parts (extended engine mounts, everything else had sufficient length, hoses, etc.). Exhaust pipes also had to be made from scratch, sections after the turbo, under the engine...
Something crazy that I would do.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi, Can anybody who uses 2.4lt alfa 159 share some info about gear ratios. I want to know in which gear how many rpm to go certain speed. Like first gear 30km is 3000rpm in 6th gear 120kph @ 3000rpm . Something like this...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts