Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2013 MiTo QV in red - the demo thats been sitting at chats for a year and a bit

First off - it feels quicker than my 1st MiTo. The extra 25kw and nm of torque make a massive difference. Really enjoying the car!

I seem to be the only person in the world who is able to get good fuel economy. In my daily 60km round trip to work and back I am averaging 6.5l/100 with an overall average of 7.8l/100. Save fuel during the week so I can burn it all over the weekend :D

To get the problems out the way:
1) The clip that holds the gear gator in place to the body of the car broke. It's being replaced under warranty
2)When driving with the aircon on and fan on the car makes a whirring sound when accelerating. I'll get this checked at the service which is due in 2 months time
3) When I put the car into neutral any gear the revs hover at between 1500 and 1200 for about 5 seconds before dropping down to the 800 at idle. Once again will get this checked at the service - maybe its a safety feature or something

The car is really great fun. It seems to get a decent amount of attention, with a lot of that attention from boy racers. I had a particularly annoying A3 1.8T (Older shape) that kept on pestering me, and it resulted in a nice run up an unnamed hill in Sunninghill at around 11pm on my way home from dinner. He shouted a few profanities at the top of the hill once he was beaten, including the most common one I have been getting - " You are so lucky your dad can afford to buy you a nice car, else I would have smoked /(Insert the F bomb for the average guy that gets beaten) you". Safe to say I look rather young :p
The list of the unnamed uphill battled have been:
1) 208 HDi - he had me till I went from 2nd to 3rd then no contest
2) 208's (I believe its 3 or 4 of them) - Don't know why they even try
3) Polo GTi (1new and 1 old) - Was close with new one, think maybe I'm lighter or something. Old one wasn't as close
4)A3 1.8T (older shape) - see above
5)320i - He is just too heavy for that hill, left behind. This guy swore at me the most
6)118i - Young girl. Shame she tried but hit the rev limiter and was left far behind
7) Abarth 500 cabrio - This was the most interesting one. It was a youngish looking girl with a male passenger who I would presume is her boyfriend. She had me off the line untill about 120ish then seemed to stop pulling as hard. When we got to the robot she took down the roof and said that the race was fun. Her boyfriend then proceeded to stand up and :vomit: over the roof

Things that are needed:
1) Air Filter. Where is the cheapest place to get one. Not paying over R1000 from autostyle
2) Exhaust. Will wait until maintenance plan is out, I think this may void the agreement
3) Octane boost. Would be fun to see if this made any difference

The car is blowing out the hottest air I have ever felt when you turn it off (Leave it running for about 30sec to circulate). It feels like standing next to a Ferrari that has been run hard, and has that haze of hot air floating from the side and vents

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Great! A guy down my street bought a normal MiTo and it has a kit and those 3 star type MiTo wheels...he loves the car and I enjoy seeing another Alfa in my street!

I like these cars, really do, my wife, interstingly, also likes them all of a sudden. There are atleast 6 here in Secunda, they all look good!

Alfa's are very underrated cars, I'm especially happy that you showed the new shape Polo GTi your beautiful rear lights!!!

OB1 octane booster you can get from KingB on the forum...search and PM him, its cheap for 5l and it WORKS...I have it in my GQV and it runs ahead of stage 2 GTi 6 DSG now...:D

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Why do these guys get so agro when they get burnt??

If I have a bit of a dice and I loose I'll give the other guy\girl a wave and a smile. It's all just a bit of fun. Aggression and arrogance are the killers on the road not speed.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why do these guys get so agro when they get burnt??

If I have a bit of a dice and I loose I'll give the other guy\girl a wave and a smile. It's all just a bit of fun. Aggression and arrogance are the killers on the road not speed.
That also makes absolutely no sense to me...
People get ANGRY when they don't win. I don't think it helps I look like a 16year old, and then they presume daddy got me a fancy car. Still get asked for ID every now and then at 25 so I can understand why they think its daddies to be honest but they still have a rubbish attitude

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I know the feeling. Apparently I look like a teenager when I'm clean shaven (which is why I'm normally not) even though I'm 33.

I've had a few chirps like that while driving the Spider. Especially when I first bought it in 2006.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
It's people who really wanted an Alfa...then tried to justify their decision or cowardous actions in not buying an Alfa by beating it...then the inevitable happened. Someone who knows how to drive a turbo Alfa(Not Guili) beat these cowards and they were beaten twice...shame. Stories like this makes me want to go out and buy a 4th Alfa.:D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shared the love a bit with my Fiance'. Driving back from waterfall estate to Sunninghill she stopped at a robot next to a Astra GT. Not sure if the Astra did try race her but she kicked down like the guy was keen and didn't stop till after we lost sight of the guy around the circles

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Great performance there. I love Mitos.

I remember about 10 years ago when i got my first 156 facelift i used to get it a lot from the cops at road blocks and they even used to check my id against their records for the car before letting me off. I hated having to work so hard for my cars then my dad gets the credit :cheese: not that he couldn't afford it though. These days i accept that work and responsibility take their toll and i look 50 rather than 42... :cheese:

Did i mention that I LOVE MITOS!??? :thumbs:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sigh now I have a high pitched, medium-high frequency whirl/rattle in second gear when below 2000rpm (Exhaust is too loud to hear the sound when you exceed the 2k rmp). Any thoughts on what it could be? In two minds about booking it in to get that looked at, and the AC fixed with the service just 3 months away

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So driving nice and gently in Midrand then BAM - check engine light comes on and car is running very rough. Stopped and switched car off then turned it back on to find it seems fine now. Any clues as to what it could be?

Chatz can't see me till Thursday so where else can I go?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just had the 30k service at Chatz

Best interaction yet with the service department. The new staff were friendly, quick and actually listened to what I had to say. Dropped the car there at 7:30, and the shuttle left on time at 8!

The 30k service was done including replacing breakbads and changing the gearbox oil as I felt the gears were a bit sticky. I got a call at 10:30 saying the car was being washed, and I can come and collect. Will reserve final judgement until the car if fetched but this is the best service I have had from Chatz. The new personell have made me happy today :)

(Please ignore spelling - my spellcheck seems to be broken)

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
my 159 is there now... was there this morning

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
What NEW staff???

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Lotsa new people

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
It seems their new speed service lane is working. That is being rolled out at FCA dealerships nationwide. They actually realised that they don't have to keep your car all day, spend 3 hours servicing it and then charging you for 6 hours in an attempt to make money. If they actually service your car quicker, they get to service more cars and make more money. Clever. VW should learn that. They still charge 4 hours labour for a 2 hour service and claim the labour charge is fixed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts