• Manual Gear Shift

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the F1 experience is better for quick changes, etc.... but to me that all works on a track and no-where else.
Personally I hate the F1 style paddles and would choose a manual any time.... 'cos I think its more fun and adds to the driving experience...

What would you vote for?

·
Administrator
45,161 Posts
Hard to say, having never used a selespeed type.

For me, enjoying driving is much more about the feel than how fast I can go, so the tactile nature of changing gear yourself is somethign I enjoy. But who is to say that you wouldn't get a similar buzz from 'feeling like an F1 driver'? And the blip of the throttle which those systems automatically perform for you on downchanges and the like must add a little to the aural treat.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
the only paddle shifts i've used were in a ferrari 360 and a 159 q-tronic or whatever it's called (although that wasn't a paddle shift as such - it was the sequential thingy on the auto gear lever)

tbh the alfa one was better than the ferrari, although the ferrari was probably a 3/4 year old car which is a geological timescale as far as f1-box development is concerned...

i'd still take the manual every day of the week :thumbs:

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
The Audi DSG is very very good. Much quicker than any manual changes.
Its a bit too easy though :lol:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I'd go for manual too but I really liked my Selespeed. You do loose something with a Selespeed but the Selespeed feels something special too which is hard to pin point unless you've driven one.

It feels just like a manual as you wait for the revs to build and then grab the next gear and isnt just like pressing a button - there is more feel to it than that.

I think Alfa did a very good job with it and if it had been more reliable would have been great

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd go for manual too but I really liked my Selespeed. You do loose something with a Selespeed but the Selespeed feels something special too which is hard to pin point unless you've driven one.

It feels just like a manual as you wait for the revs to build and then grab the next gear and isnt just like pressing a button - there is more feel to it than that.

I think Alfa did a very good job with it and if it had been more reliable would have been great
Hey Pascs,

I agree that there is something that is hard to pin point with the Selespeed. It feels special.... but I enjoy my Q system more because of the feel of a manual shift (even though it isn't).
However.. I would take a normal manual given the choice.... :thumbs:

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,380 Posts
id have one of each :D

obviously i do prefer the manual boxes but the Ferrari 360 i drove last year had the F1 'box and i was very impressed with it.

J

·
0 Posts
despite the bad press it gets, i totally love my selespeed....

it has all the attraction of a manual but the functionality of an Auto, and also no power loss through a torque converter...

really disappointed that Alfa did not persist with it, it could have a bearing on my next car choice

if i could i would convert the spider to sele as well

D

·
0 Posts
F1 shifts are alright for Playstations.

Man'ooal in a car, it's what you're used to I suppose and I'm not going to be Michael Schumacher. I even find it too confusing to drive an automatic, keep stamping on the brake as if it's the clutch :eek:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Manual is the best. Over all, manufacturers have been trying to get rid of it for years simply because most customers want something more easier and more comfortable. Some have even stooped to make Autos as standard and manuals as the optional extras.
I know manual isn't the best choice when it comes to traffic, but its great on an open highway or empty, twisted mountain road. It definitely gives you more control over the vehicle.
F1 style shifting attempts to make a manual gear change easier and faster, while giving you better control of the car. And another feature they claim is that its safer because you can have both hands on the wheel all the time.
Its good for a track day and the occasional mood when you want to feel like Michael Shumacher, but for the real world, nothing beats a manual gear.

D

·
0 Posts
I don't think it necessarily is that much easier in traffic, unless you've got something seriously wrong with your legs, a clutch is no hassle, we're fit enough to press a pedal and pull a lever ... although some drivers out there aren't even clever enough to extend one finger and use the indicator before they turn - these people would never get the hang of a paddle shift.

After getting used to the torque of a diesel I tend to change up early, driving an auto I keep wanting to change up to save the revs. Just don't like it but it's all down to what you're used to I suppose.

K

·
0 Posts
I like proper autos backed up with a decent sized engine and I like manuals too. The half-way house, I'm less keen on.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I have just done a round trip up to London and back in my Sele flicking between paddles and stick as suites the moment and it is a nice way to drive if I get bored I just put it in city and drive it as an auto so the best of all worlds for me. I do realise that in the end it's what ever floats your boat and what you are happiest with but don't knock it till you have tried it.:)

V

·
0 Posts
havent tried f1 style padels but i know id go for a manual rather than them if i had the choice

1 - 20 of 27 Posts