Alfa Romeo Forum banner
781 - 800 of 2640 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #782 ·
I firmly beleive certain cars suite certain drivers.

MS only ever suceeded in Rory's cars, and sucked in the others (OK sucked is a bit extreme, did less well).
Pity the blind masses dont notice this.

It could be he just cant get to grips with the car.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Someone Phoned Rory Byrne...... :)
There is no doubt that the push for change in direction of development comes from none other then MS. Rosberg has had zero balance issues and he's done very well with the car even though it is just not as fast as the RedBulls and McLarens.

We have to remember, though, that he's been away from F1 for 3 years during which everyone else got used to not having TC.

As for Rory Byrne, i don't have precise facts but i'm pretty sure that, traditionally, long wheel base = ferrari and shorter wheel base = Williams. It will be very interesting to see how they(Ms & Nico) react to the new car. There is one certain thing in all of this - if MS doesn't improve soon, or if he even goes backwards, then the pressure on him will be massive.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
So! Peter how would explain Alonso/Massa at Ferrari? by right(Public opinion) Massa should be eating Alonso's dust yet Massa has been his roadblock for every race sofar.

As for Schu, once he has the chassis "Pointy" and "balanced" he will be on the money and he will be there from the 1st European race, on the podium at least!?

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Not sure on the logistics etc, but couldn't a well financed team have 2 different wheelbased cars? I know parts etc.. wil be different but if it makes that much difference surely they could manage it?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not sure on the logistics etc, but couldn't a well financed team have 2 different wheelbased cars? I know parts etc.. wil be different but if it makes that much difference surely they could manage it?
I'm pretty certain that the rules say that they have to be the same chassis design for both cars(although saying that, I also thought that the chassis design was locked down for the whole season and would have thought changing the wheelbase would have been prevented under that, so maybe my knowledge of the rules isnt quite up to scratch!)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
So! Peter how would explain Alonso/Massa at Ferrari? by right(Public opinion) Massa should be eating Alonso's dust yet Massa has been his roadblock for every race sofar.
I think that there is a "stealthy" arm wrestle between Alonso and Massa.
Alonso has been unusually tame this season and i can see at least two reasons for this:

1.The mysterious engine problem that Ferrari have been "managing" since the start of the season(Alonso has been called off of a charge on few occasions - the funniest one was: Fernando, if you can't overtake then fall back. we are running a bit hot. Alonso: I can't do that) This also gives indication that Ferrari has been doing some engine development in order to squeeze maximum performance from their units(maybe to catch up to the reliable powerhouse that is the Mercedes unit)

2. Alonso's frame of mind: "I've learned my lesson on how not to behave at McLAren". A beloved character at ferrari(massa) comes back from an injury and he's doing everything possible to stay out of trouble and do well for himself. Alonso wants to become the tifosi's favorite(and not the bad guy) so he treads carefully with Massa and the team. All that nonsense about how it was his dream to drive for ferrari - this guy will happily drive a kia f1 provided it was competitive enough. Also, i don't think that he rates Massa

Alonso is careful this season, although, he's used a couple of opportunities to sort of dispatch Massa because you simply can't fight your racing DNA :lol:

On top of all this, the rumor mill has been turning a couple of stories that Massa is in delicate contract negotiations with ferrari. My money is on Alonso not being able to contain himself any longer:lol:

As for Schu, once he has the chassis "Pointy" and "balanced" he will be on the money and he will be there from the 1st European race, on the podium at least!?
As far as I'm concerned, it all depends on development . If they hit a sweet spot with MS's setup: more front/rear grip by new parts, better traction out of slower corners, lighter chassis in order to give Michael more room to play with balance setups etc there is NO reason why he shouldn't be able to contest podiums or at least keep Rosberg honest. I know what i saw in Melbourne(when i wrote that MS looked good for the first time), i've seen it before on numerous occasions from MS before he retired. Braking late, full commitment, pushing the car towards its limits. It was brief but it was all there.

The thing is, people just underestimate the huge challenge that MS has in front of him. His age, three years out of F1, numerous rule changes and, -as i've mentioned before- the plentifull young, hungry and talented wolves in F1(just look at rosberg's transition from williams to Mercedes and buttons' transition from brawn to mclaren) These are very talented individuals, in their prime that know their stuff. Even a 10 lap rookie hot head like Petrov can burn you when he has the chance.

Is he past his best years? I think he is. Sometimes we just can't accept this...it's a guy thing:)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Ok we have more information on what MS will get in Barcelona:

"New regulations have made the front tyres narrower,
which means you need to generate more downforce at the front than before,"
he is quoted as saying by The Times.

"Michael needs to be able to lean heavily on the front
of the car to make his driving style work," Brawn added.

The front of the car has therefore been the focus of Mercedes'
big upgrade for Barcelona, featuring a longer wheelbase.

"We've got a modification of the car coming for Barcelona
which puts us into a better range for the weight distribution
we can achieve," Brawn confirmed.

As well as introducing a raft of updates to the W01 for the
Barcelona race next month, which includes lengthening the wheelbase,
team principal Ross Brawn has also revealed that Schumacher
will no longer be using the chassis that he had for the first four races of the season

"It's not a new chassis per se, it's a chassis we used in testing,"
Brawn confirmed on Monday, at a fundraising event for the Royal
National Lifeboat Institution on the banks of the River Thames.

"The one he had got damaged during the first few races and we
repaired it as best we could at the races.

"But now we are back at base we are going to reintroduce the
test chassis and he will be using that in Barcelona," he is quoted
as saying by The Guardian, and the German news agency SID
reported the same news on Monday.
http://www.onestopstrategy.com/dail...des+changing+2010+car+to+suit+Schumacher.html
http://www.onestopstrategy.com/dail...rawn+confirms+new+chassis+for+Schumacher.html

So, there was some damage to Michael's car after all which may explain why he struggled so badly in china.

G

·
Ferrari being accused of Tobacco ads on car

Hear we go again. Ferrari (who are still paid a lot by Philip Morris Inc. ) are under investigation as to whether the barcode that appears on the engine cover is in fact subliminal advertising of the Marlboro brand in contravention of the ban on tobacco advertising. Its is claimed that the graphic has changed over time and increasingly matches the scheme of a Marlboro cigarette packet.

What does the team think?

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Hear we go again. Ferrari (who are still paid a lot by Philip Morris Inc. ) are under investigation as to whether the barcode that appears on the engine cover is in fact subliminal advertising of the Marlboro brand in contravention of the ban on tobacco advertising. Its is claimed that the graphic has changed over time and increasingly matches the scheme of a Marlboro cigarette packet.

AlfaLincs

That sounds SO stupid it MUST be true, Eh !!!!!........:lol:

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Does anyone actually look at or be influenced by sponsor decals on cars or bikes.....I don't but would be interested to hear if anyone is and why.........:Hmm:

·
Registered
12,960 Posts

AlfaLincs
Just watching MotoGP and the Ducati Marlboro Team have the same barcode on the fairings......:Hmm:

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Well if it is barcode for Marlboro they did a good job in hiding it, I had no idea :lol:

Oh, and after watching the last GP I didnt feel the urge to go out and buy 200 Marly reds!

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Oh, and after watching the last GP I didnt feel the urge to go out and buy 200 Marly reds!
Or a Mercedes........:lol:

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Just watching MotoGP and the Ducati Marlboro Team have the same barcode on the fairings......:Hmm:
Well, Marlboro want return on their investment. There is no reason for the barcode on the car - it has nothing to do with Ferrari or santander(or ducati).

here are some more ferrari marlboro barcode versions:

http://freshf1.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/f2007.JPG

http://www.darrangange.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Marlboro-Ferrari.png

Ducati
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3094/2383554150_979a460f2f.jpg

big tobacco....

similar advertising stuff like Buzzin hornets, be on edge(benson and hedges) jordan
http://en.espnf1.com/PICTURES/CMS/1200/1200.jpg
http://static.zooomr.com/images/5475259_33be5601d7.jpg

honda's logo - lucky strike, barcode included and messages - look right, look left etc

http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/346/598346_honda-racing-logo_3.jpg
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/images/f1/bar/05/launch/front.jpg
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/images/f1/bar/05/launch/side.jpg

And West cigarette packaging(popular with kids ans team supporters)

http://www.globalpackagegallery.com...ownloadItem&g2_itemId=43253&g2_serialNumber=2

we rest our case:)

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I really don't see what the big fuss is all about!?:confused:
The tobaco advertising ban has always been in F1 even since the ban!? As Peter demonstrated, BAR always had "Lookie's/Luckie's" slang for "Lucky Strike" and Ferrari is always at it. To go of on a tangent, i went to the Hungarian GP back in 2002/2003 i think? Raikonen won for McLaren & Webber was driving a Williams, the tickets cost a fortune and it was the last race for tobacco sponsorship and there was Marlboro girls standing at stalls every 10 meters! giving out tons of 200 packs of their finest to everybody that wanted and they where being restocked with loads more:lol: (I have to say i ended up with 200 as you couldn't walk past them without them being given out!

Im going to sound a bit poncey here when i say "subliminal marketing has been used by companies for years and it has been heavily used with tobacco companies among other's Coca Cola and many others do the same. It's brand recognition plain & simple, It's a play on colours (Red/White) Good marriage between Ferrari as Red is with Ferrari, a win/win stuation? And the bar code is a subliminal. It's easy to argue yes and its equally easy to argue no! Prove it's advertising Marlboro? You can't! Free Advertising for Marlboro, it's being talked about win/win!

The best example i can think of and i believe it is a case study for Marketing as its the best known/ pioneer is Coca Cola who developed the modern kid's belief of what Father Christmas is? Fat Bloke in a red and white suit with a black belt and a white beard who comes down the chimney in his shiny black boots, was designed by Coca cola and used to market their product.

Heck! we are talking about a company no one mentions anymore! i reckon it's a Bernie's Doctor Evil move remember it cost 100's of millions to be at the sharp end of the grid, until this capping thing came in.

781 - 800 of 2640 Posts