Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok a rant really but feel free to join in!

who the hell designed the bulb holder arrangement on the GT? he clearly had the hands wrists and forearms of a small girl or is related (closely) to Mr Tickle...

The main and dipped H7's are do-able with without too much of a Faff, but the retaining clips can be difficult to re-locate afterwards , two went beautifully and in a classic Alfa fashion two were a fight of gargantuan proportions with heroism and derring- do on my part and a stubborn and quite frankly impressive position of non co-operation by said retaining clips...! despite repeating exactly the same steps.

located after a while with hand contortions and a mirror which due to the very sunny day was fun..I think I just about have the sight back in my left eye.

now onto those B*****D H6w's awful awful awful design..much swearing and frustration and even one bulb falling out into the plastic housing ,fished out with a screwdriver with some sellotape on the end..(other brands of sticky tape are available) eventually got them both in and all good.

The H1 fogs are easy when compare to the sides..

feeling quite pleased with myself now and think the next time will take about 5 mins a bulb, there is definitely a ''Knack'' but you have to do it yourself once or twice to work it out..no wonder halfrauds looked worried when I went to have a look at their bulb selection!

anyway all error free 100w led bulbs fitted and they look great, bought on ebay from a company called Argo City, the whole lot with postage about £13...phoned them up to check a couple of things and must say the couldn't have been nicer.

will pop some pictures up tomorrow but they are a nice little upgrade giving the front a much more modern look.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
anyway all error free 100w led bulbs fitted and they look great, bought on ebay from a company called Argo City, the whole lot with postage about £13...phoned them up to check a couple of things and must say the couldn't have been nicer.

will pop some pictures up tomorrow but they are a nice little upgrade giving the front a much more modern look.
I'm still on the fence about the headlights...

Tried Osram Nightbreakers/Phillips Ultrawhatsits from the halogen offering, and found them a little better than standard but really nothing worth getting excited about..

Don't really want to run the shielded HIDs in the reflector housing would rather retrofit projectors, but that's dropping the bumper, baking the headlamps open etc.. Effort...

Are the LED's using the reflector, or are they projecting?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still on the fence about the headlights...

Tried Osram Nightbreakers/Phillips Ultrawhatsits from the halogen offering, and found them a little better than standard but really nothing worth getting excited about..

Don't really want to run the shielded HIDs in the reflector housing would rather retrofit projectors, but that's dropping the bumper, baking the headlamps open etc.. Effort...

Are the LED's using the reflector, or are they projecting?

they are LED's using the reflector..better though both in colour appearance and visibility...as said they are the 100w not the 55w ones..I had the osrams in before and found them a bit yellow..

·
Registered
446 Posts
had the bumper off yesterday to fit the new splitter, wouldn't make the H6w's any easier to get too ,only the fogs which are easy any way.
No, take off the bumper, then just loosen the 3 10mm screws and the whole light comes out, then it's easy to open, replace, wash, inspect etc. It's a pig of a job to get to the D/S light to replace, there is NO WAY to change the parking light any other way, maybe the other globes.

Anyway, its soooo much easier with the bumper off, do it once, do it twice and the bumper can be off in less than 2 mins,.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, take off the bumper, then just loosen the 3 10mm screws and the whole light comes out, then it's easy to open, replace, wash, inspect etc. It's a pig of a job to get to the D/S light to replace, there is NO WAY to change the parking light any other way, maybe the other globes.

Anyway, its soooo much easier with the bumper off, do it once, do it twice and the bumper can be off in less than 2 mins,.

Ok I see now,

yes that would be easier, and i have the bumper off malarky down to about 10 minutes now.

ok

so next time, 1) bumper off 2) lights out 3) replace bulbs 4) reverse process and drive away without scuffed knuckles...:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Ok I see now,

yes that would be easier, and i have the bumper off malarky down to about 10 minutes now.
Is it seriously that easy?

Wheel arch liners, under tray, undo some fixings, and she pops right off?

If it's that easy, I might just go ahead and get projectors done over a weekend!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Is it seriously that easy?

Wheel arch liners, under tray, undo some fixings, and she pops right off?

If it's that easy, I might just go ahead and get projectors done over a weekend!
It's a little fiddly if you try and do it with the arch liner in place, but still possible. There is one 30 torx bolt on each side, and one 10mm nut and bolt just ahead of these. Then just the usual four 30 torx bolts holding the undertray and the same at the top securing the bumper to the slam panel.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I just fasten the 4 torx on top in the engine bay and use 1 torx each by the wheel arches to fasten, that way, the bumper comes off so often because it is so nice and easy to work on the alfa with the bumper off, I dont even fix it underneath or use all 4 torx under the arches just two, maybe one day when I am finished (never) I will fit all torx back,lol

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's very easy to do Ed..

As I'm on my second splitter now and lots of faffing with intercoolers I have it down to an art..!

Will post a link to those bulbs chaps when I get a momental.

Caliper painting today!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Good luck Joe. yeah the bloody bulbs are a faf. The connector metal clip is fun to figure out too.. Good luck for today's jobs look forward to the "Blackleafs" pics..:thumbup:

Damien.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts