Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just speaking hypothetically (at this stage), what is involved in selling and exporting a classic car from South Africa to an overseas buyer? Is there vat payable, by whom? Duties? Who must apply for an export permit, buyer or seller? What else? Who normally pays shipping? Etc, etc???

Anybody here with experience of this, please advise.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No vat , you have to get export permit after you have done police clearance and microdotting . Export permit only last three months so you better make sure it gets on boat in time otherwise you start again at police clearance where the car was registered .
Make sure you have a lot of history on car , ie previous owners , workshop bills , even chassis jig report . Overseas owners are obsessed with history . They would rather by a kak uk car with lots history than an excellent sa car with no history . Need lots of pics of underside around jacking and suspension points to show they are rot free as this is serious failure point at the annual MOT . Do all this and you got a good chance of uk buyer . Shipping costs £2000 in own container but if share with three cars it's about £1600 . Buyer pays insurance and will actually pay no vat as it's not new car . Their is a law which Henk knows on cut off date for duties and percentages .

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi,

Kevin, perhaps you escaped VAT as you were allowed to import a car when you moved here. My experience was slightly different as a resident here.

I've imported two classic AR's from the 60's - in both instances:

Person in SA applies for export permit (my sister did it for me) - it is a very straight forward process. You need:
1. Police clearance
2. Exporters ID
3. Registration docs
Submit above electronically and within days you get the permit issued online & sent to you email address.

Then arranged export via an agent which I paid for - this was for Admin, loading into Container and shipping to UK.

In the UK I found a clearing agent (should be done by the buyer) who will collect and unload the container and send the paperwork to HMRC (Inland Revenue).
Before I could collect the cars I had to pay:
4. Agents fees (about £400)
5. Import duty 10% of the declared value
6. 20% VAT on the value of the transaction incl purchase price, shipping etc.

There are exceptions to the rule - if you can prove the car is of exceptional historic importance (e.g. very few built/remaining) the VAT and duty is reduced/scrapped.

Speak to an agent both sides of the pond just for certainty. The process is actually very slick and not complicated at all.

When I think of an import I use "cost of car + £3000 + 30%" to understand the real cost.

Like I said, when you immigrate there are exceptions which reduces your liability here.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Henk. This was very informative and actually will help in determining the asking price of the vehicle, as the transaction still needs to make financial sense for a UK buyer.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Or the Giulia, or the 155.....

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Perhaps not a big deal but worth noting that apart from the obvious phoning around for shipping quotes, the shipping lines themselves do vary prices through the year and apply some surcharges accordingly.

It's worth checking with a reputable freight forwarder as it might be a swing of up to about £500 on a 20' container. Otherwise I'd agree with the approximate costs of about £2000 for a container. I pay roughly that for product we bring in from China or USA to UK so it might be a little less from SA.

Reactions: Alfa Klassik

·
Registered
428 Posts
What a beauty. Looks like that rusty red/brown colour from early 70's - suits the Giulias very well. :beer:

If you do decide.......:paperbag:....(drop me a note)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts