Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my car on a temporary racetrack two days ago for the first time with the adjustable Koni shocks fitted. As the rear ones are hard to adjust I made a stiff preset of them and hoped it would work fine. No, it didn't. The car was understeering massively and I was really dissapointed. Then I adjusted the front ones from 0.5 turn to 0.25 turn, and suddenly most of the understeer dissapeard. Like it was another car. I did also tru'y them at 0 turn as I use them normally, but it wasn't as good as 0.25. Amazing!

ANyone else with similar experiences?

/A

G

·
Hi Andreas

You are writing that the rear's had a stiff setup.How many turns from neutral was that?

Have you find out something with a upgrated front anti-roll bar?

G

·
the car needs a small amount of body roll so the weight transfers across when you corner and pushes the tyres into the road if its too stiff the tyres will just slide across the road with no grip(understeer)if your too soft the tyres will bite too much and try to tuck under(oversteer)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Thomas,

I set the rear shocks at 1 turn. Maximum is 1.5 but in the written instruction from Koni they say something like 0 = city, 0.5 = sport and 1 = race. So I don't know if you gain anything by setting them between 1 and 1.5.

When I mounted them I set them at 0.75 and it worked terrific with 0.0 front. Then I reset them at 0.4 to make it more comfortable and experienced it as less keen on stepping out with the rear wheels. So the best setup so far is 0/0.75 and the final setup on the trackday was 0.25/1.0 as I couldn't djust the rear ones.

The front antirollbar .... I tried hard to bend the standard arrrangement off the antrollbar but I didn't succeed. To remove it you need a tool that grips around it and has a srew that pulls on the end of the bar, a so called "avdragare" in swedish. But then you need to remove the entire front wheel spindle and .... I didn't have time to do that.

Thomas. Have you thought about Knutstorp on Sunday? One of my front discs cracked and I won't be able to get there, but if you wan't to go there just mail or call me and shall see what I can do.

/A

G

·
Andreas,-

Sounds very temting,but I don't think I can make it this time.It could be real fun to drive on a real racetrack (have only tryed it on motorcycle),and I have just checked in our Alfa club magazine.The danish Alfa club has rented the track on saturday,together with the Peugeot and the Honda club.And I could see that the swedish Alfa club has it on sunday.Could be/will be a brilliant weekend,thats for sure :D :D

But becource of some trouble with my car,I am without turbo at the moment(that means 125 bhp becource of the low compression :rolleyes: ).But the problem is fixed now,and I get a new turbo on now.It is from a Fiat Coupe 16v Turbo,that means that I get watercooling now.And a much better turbo,I quess it's the same on you'r car(Q4's).But it have giving me alot of work to do.Upgrade my manifold,new stainless 3" excaust from turbo to cat,some fittings and cuts to make the watercooling work,and improved air cooling to intercooler,turbo and engine from underneth the frontspoiler and hole's from foglight.And I am concidering water-injection.But I'm at it/in the middle of it.

But another time I would love to try ex. Knutstorp or Anderstorp.But less can also do it. wink

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ho, ho, ho what a job!

I didn't realise you didn't have a watercooled turbo. It must have been a really old one. But if it was a turbo from a Saab, why didn't you go for a Mitsubishi turbo that is standard on the Aero models? Saab uses the same manifold flange for both Mitsubishi and Garret T25 turbos and the Mitsubishi is soooooo much better than the Garret TB0367 you find on Q4, Coupe turbo 16V and Delta Integrale Evo2.

Just a thought. Perhaps the flange to the really old turbos are different from the modern ones.

Good luck

/A

G

·
I've got this Coupe turbo becourse my frind with the Tipo (you know who Andreas) has bought a complet Coupe engine and gearbox (with visko-locks).Infact he is driving with this engine right now,becourse his "monster" motor blew up (300+ bhp:KAPOWW).Now he is waiting for new piston's from USA.Delivery time:16-18 weeks!!

This T25 turbo,is that a hybrid turbo??

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hej Thomas,

The T25 is the successor to the classic T3 and it is mounted in all Saabs except the Aeros. The Aero models, both 2 and 2.3 litre, has the Mitsubishi TD04HL-15T. The T25 has about the same capacity as the older TB0367, but it is much better in spool up. The Mitsu is capable of ~300 hp's. Both theese turbos can be bought as a standard spare part for about 6000:- Skr, and if your'e lucky 4000:-.

I think you could have use of the Saab turbo club site: www.saabturboclub.com , click on "arkiv" then "FAQ". I contains a lot of theory and don't hesitate to ask if you don't understand what they write.

/A

G

·
Hi Andreas,

Considering the TB0367 as a 'classic' turbo, but outdated if compared to the T25 (this is the one Alfa uses for the 164 V6 Turbo and the GTV V6 Turbo, and the IHI unit as an improvement of both, which could be the best 'reasonable priced' option for a Q4 in your opinion?

As far as some people say, the Old Delta Evo 1 used to have a bigger turbo (T4???) and its tuning possibilities are higher...that's a bet to follow, or it will imply to go back on technology??

This is not a simple issue, I know, but I'm interested in having your advise. (not planning to replace my T3 yet, but that moment will come in the future, is it?.

Cheers

Juan

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
.. I've tried to answer your question 5 times, but the forum won't accept the text. No, it's not dirty .....

/A

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here it is:

Well Juan,
as T3 owners we don't have one single very good alternative for an upgrade as I see it. Rather many compromises. Considering the official figures of maximum 1.5 bar, 300 hp turbine and 235 hp compressor capacity I would list the alternatives in order of job/money like this:

1: "Flow prep" of standard compressor, like porting a cylinder head but with the compressor inlet. Increases maximum power with 10-15% (~260 hp). Cost 350 Euro.

2. Replace the compressor house for a Trim 60 house. Max power 300 hp, i.e. turbine and compressor has the same limit. Cost 400-450 Euro.

3. Larger T3, like the TB0385 from the Delta I 16V or Evo1. Capacity is around 400 hp, but with standard bearing max boost is 1.5 bar. Cost from nothing to 1500 Euro for a new one and upwards for better bearings. You can also use the 338 from the 8v Integrale, you might get one for free.

4. A Mitsubishi TD05-18T (or 16T or 17T) boosts about 1.5 bar perhaps 1.7. Power limit 300 hp. Same flange as T3, but round hole, so you need an adapter plate on the flange. I guess you need to re-arange the 90 degree bend from turbo to exhaust system and fix the compressor outlet too. Cost for turbo 700 Euro, but perhaps cheaper.

5. IHI- Tell me more! I don't know more than that they are fitted in the 155 Diesels.

6. T25, TD04HL-15T (Saab) and Garrett T28 (like T2810 from Coupe 20V T) do all need a smaller exhaust manifold flange, i.e. a new manifold. T25 has the same capacity as the TB0367 = no idea. TD04HL-15T is very nice and has sufficient capacity, like I said before. The T28 is much much more expensive but has capcity up to 350 hp and with ball bearing 2.2 bar boost. Cost 1500-1700 Euro.

Ok, thats it. Mitsus' are cheap as they are original spare part to Saab and Volvo. Garrett are afordable if you use the exchange system so that you leave your own turbo (or part of it) to Garrett and get a new (bigger) one. If you buy a Supersprint manifold I do think you can order it with any flange you want. Nice but expensive.

Best regards

/A

G

·
A lot of useful info, Andreas...Thanks indeed!

I'll keep the data for the future, as I'm sure the day of start thinking about it will come, sooner or later.

Cheers

Juan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts