Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok lads and lasses, I wanted to share this experience with you as I bought a 159 Lusso back in 2012 and in June 2013 the Dual Mast fly wheel give in on the vehicle. I replaced the item through my local garage who installed the Clutch and Flywheel as this is advisable to use the whole kit and not just one or the other.

In April 2014 The Flymast wheel decided to pack up again and I immediately got this replaced as FIAT had a 12 month warranty on the product and this was all good.

In October 2014 the same happened again! I thought what the hell is happening here, it seems every 6 months I am going through Flywheels!!

I contacted FIAT in Italy as I speak the native tongue and they were so unaccommodating and told me that I should not have used a local garage and gone to a main dealer as they would have given me a 2 year warranty etc..They even told me that the garage potentially did not know how to install the parts! which I found very derogatory as this garage have been repairing Alfas for over 40+ years and I have been using them for 15 years and even bought cars from them!

To cut a long story short I contacted the "Office of Fair trading" who in turn agreed that the parts should not be failing this often and I had a claim to pursue FIAT via the "Supply of Faulty Goods Act 1982" which also included a Money Claims against the garage.

This was back in January 2015 and by April 2015 I received my full reimbursement of £1200.00 for the cost and labour for the clutch and Flywheel from my garage.

I really did pity the garage and I hope that they do get reimbursed from FIAT via distributor as it is a real shame that garage should be out of pocket in the short term due to faulty goods from FIAT!

I hope that this experience allows other Alfa Owners to help them with problems like I have experienced and that you have a governing body out there that will help you when needed! The OFT were very knowledgable and helped me along the way with much needed advice.

Here is a copy of the Supply of Faulty Goods Act 1982 in case anyone needs it:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1982/29

Also the Office of Fair trading contact number - 0345 4040506

Cheers

TheToon

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good post Toon, thanks for sharing :)
No problem, I thought this would be a very interesting post as I am sure many members have been potentially "stitched up" in the past!

Well no more, not with the "Supply of Faulty Goods Act 1982".

I am sure other countries will have a similar governing body? You just need to look around and find the right one.

·
Registered
353 Posts
A friend used the supply of goods act to good effect when her 50" Samsung TV packed in 4 years into ownership. She returned the tv to the store for repair. When she went to collect it they handed her a bill which she refused to pay. The store held the TV refusing to release it until the money had been paid. She stood her ground quoting the sales of good act several times. After a few weeks of complaining and refusing to pay she eventually got her TV back without being out of pocket.

My brother also used to work for PC World several years ago behind the help desk as a student. If the faulty item was less than 5 years old and the customer quoted the sales of good act, the repair or replacement was issued free of charge and without argument. I'm assuming this was partly due to the customer being in the right and partly due to PC World not wanting any negative publicity or unhappy customers.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A friend used the supply of goods act to good effect when her 50" Samsung TV packed in 4 years into ownership. She returned the tv to the store for repair. When she went to collect it they handed her a bill which she refused to pay. The store held the TV refusing to release it until the money had been paid. She stood her ground quoting the sales of good act several times. After a few weeks of complaining and refusing to pay she eventually got her TV back without being out of pocket.

My brother also used to work for PC World several years ago behind the help desk as a student. If the faulty item was less than 5 years old and the customer quoted the sales of good act, the repair or replacement was issued free of charge and without argument. I'm assuming this was partly due to the customer being in the right and partly due to PC World not wanting any negative publicity or unhappy customers.
correct, and also no business wants a County Court Judgment against them as it not only effects there credit rating it will also be derogatory to there suppliers to want to give them stock!

Its a win/win situation for the consumer and a great way to resolve any potential issues at an early stage!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts