Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experince from the Zinc (?) coated EBC TGD brakediscs? Here in Sweden they are more than 30% cheaper than RedDot for example and they look promising.

It's time for M3 discs and GT3 calipers on my Q4 ...

I

·
0 Posts
What's the point of zinc coating disks? Zinc is quite soft and will wear away in no time leaving, presumably, the steel disk exposed.

:confused:

Ian

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the purpose of the Zinc coating is to keep rust away from the grooves and from the ventilation ducts I suppose. But my interest in the EBC disc does not have so much to do with the coating as with the groove layout and the price. And as the original BMW disc is not suitable for "improvements", the RedDot is much more expensive, the Brembo is not available and as I have no confidence in Tarox any more I consider the EBC as a reasonably good alternative.

/A

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just thinking:

If the Alfa 155 Q4 is based on the Fiat Tipo

and

the Fiat Coupe is based on the Fiat Tipo

maybe the Coupe 4pot callipers would fit on the Q4???

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both yes and no. You have to use the Fiat Coupe 20V spindles. A friend with a 16V Coupe made this conversion but it wasn't cheap. The spindles costs a lot and with the spindle comes the bearing which also is a bit expensive. On top of this comes the fact that the offset of the 20V Coupe braekdisc is very small which implies you need a rim with the spokes really far out to get clearance to the caliper. If you have the Speedlines you will need 20mm+ spacer to realise this or you have to throw all your rims away and get new ones :( On the other hand it is a good galiper on the Fiat Coupe which is also found on the GTV 3.0, the Spider 3.0, the GTA, the 406 Coupe and the 360 Modena. On the other hand you find a giant Porsche GT3 monblock Brembo for the same price or even cheaper. So if you have to construct a lot of new parts anyway it could be a good idea to look at the Porsche calipers.

/A

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hmm,Porsche calipers.What parts you should modify for this conversion?Or the M3 is easier?
I wanna buy new rims anyway,so the Coupe way sound easier,because I live close to Italy and Germany,and I could find damaged Coupes :)
What is your opinion?

F

·
0 Posts
996tt monoblocs fit with custom carriers to Fiat 20v turbo discs - all nicely behind 16" wheels wink honest.. I've looked into this, it was planned for the Q4 before plans changed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fade2grey, which calipers do you mean when you write 996tt, the 4 or 6 piston calipers? I will use the one with 4 pistons. Fiat Coupe 20V disc or BMW M3 disc is quite similar. The reason for me to choose the M3 discs is mainly larger offset => thinner spacer. Then I will also gain 10 mm in diameter, but that is of less importance.

GibbonQ4, what I need for the conversion is four new holes in the brakedisc bell, a centerring and a device that couples the caliper to the spindle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts