Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

the 2.0 is misbehaving again: the oil pressure suddenly dropped from 4 to 2 bar, and the expansion tank is overflowing with oil and coolant. And there's no oil on the dipstick, so quite a lot of oil has gone into the coolant.
First thought: head gasket. Bought a new gasket and stuff, but looking at it I can't understand how oil could get from the oil pressure gallery into the water galleries. They seem too far apart. So my second guess: the oil/coolant heat exchanger has gone.

Anybody have an opinion on or experience with this kind of thing? I'm about to rip the head off, but don't want to do this if it's not necessary... Oh, and I got a new heat exchanger off a 166, so how does one tell from looking at the old heat exchanger that it is dead?

Quick replies would be highly appreciated!!

Jaap.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Head gasket.
I had the same on a Twinspark 75. The oil got into the water and eventually gummed the whole cooling system up with emulsion. No water went into the oil though. Also the pressure on the engine hadn't dropped. When I took the gasket off, it looked fine until I examined it very closely and could find little crackes in it.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hhmm, but on the 16V the distance between oil and water galleries is about 3 inches, whereas the distance between oil gallery and outside edge of the block is only half an inch, so I'd expect the oil to blow the gasket towards the outside, not take the long way past cilinder #2 or #3 towards the water gallery. And the whole thing happened very quickly....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True, but you don't know where the weak/damaged part of the gasket is (if it is the gasket). I've had a few head gaskets needing changed over the years and none of them have blown oil or water to the outside, just acoss the gasket into the oil/waterways. Hope you get a definate answer soon m80.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have had problems in the past with heat exchangers rotting out and pumping oil into the cooling system.....there not cheap.!!!! but cheaper than a head job..
you can disconnect the water pipes from the heatexchanger and clamp/block them off then run the engine and if oil comes out of the water holes you know its had it and not the head gasket.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it's turned out to be the heat exchanger after all. I found a virtually new h/e off a 166 for just 80 euros, which included the coolant pipes. Which was nice. Especially since new ones were E222,34 in 2000.... My local main dealer have their own scrapyard, where the write-offs and old cars are dismantled. They have a HUGE stock of parts, engines, body parts (huh?), etc.
So i decided to fit this anyway (as I didn't want to run the engine to do Jimybob's test, although it's a clever trick), as I had heard from several people about h/es giving up, and my car has 217000 kms on the clock. And the car is running fine again! Quite a relief to see the pressure gauge going up to 4 bar again! Now I just have to find a way to get all the crap out of the cooling system... And get myself clean...

Only, now I have a spare head gasket and stretch bolts lying around, which i'd bought in my deeply depressed state monday morning when I was still certain that the worst had happened. I've been advised to fit this as a precaution, as "the head gasket is likely getting a bit tired after more than 200,000 kms". Any thoughts on this? I'm thinking why fix it if it ain't broke?

Finally, anybody like a GTA-engine for their 155? I saw about 7 of them lying around, new, complete with subframe, box, suspension struts, with just some smoke damage. Apparently there was a fire on the ship carrying new cars, and the cars were scrapped because of smoke and water damage. So I guess my next car will be 155 3.2V6 GTA! Has a nice ring to it, don't it?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
155 GTA.

You're still even thinking about it? I'd have bought all 7 by now! How much do they want for them?

·
Registered
550 Posts
One for me please !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts